Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hacking alone....

Default Hacking alone....

.. Has been one of my 'issues'.

I'm quite confident riding Ed - owned him for over 2 years now and although I'm a mature/novice, I think you could say we've truly bonded !!

I will do SJing, XC and dressage on him (albeit small lol). I have lesssons on him, hack out and participate in loads of sponsored rides. Recently took place in my first mini-ODE etc ..

But, ask me to hack out alone? Apparently, for fun!?! No thanks!

Bur, my new yard is positioned right in the centre of a lovely, rural, little village. So, after my lesson on a Tue, I now always cool down on a hack (& loving it!!)

I only ride for 20 mins, but hankering to go further lol. It's a great plan; horse tired already, me on board already, no pressure to ride any distance etc..

Personally, I enjoy human company, so long hacking alone will never be on my agenda. But, I do feel that I want to be able to do it if J can. J feel progress is happening!!

Aw that's fab! Glad you are getting out there, and like you say as you've ridden him in the lesson and he's more tired anyway then that sounds ideal.

Hacking alone is something i've always longed to do, i've done it before but never gone very far before bottling it, but that was with a very forward going horse, now I have a nice calm ride I am hoping to get out there, eventually alone

Keep up the great work, I know you consider yourself a novice but it sounds like you're getting some great experience under that there!

i quite enjoy going for long hacks on my own, its nice. But i do sometimes worry about coming off and im all alone =/

Yesterday, I actually had the urge to go a little further. It was lovely and warm/sunny. But, I realised I didn't have my phone with me and that sort of put me off but next time

Just make sure you always have your phone and someone knows where you are going and go for it.

I don't massively enjoy hacking alone, if I do I like to have my ipod on low for some background chatter more than anything else.

It's something I used to have to do regularly because I wouldn't hack out unless I did.

I love it, my favourite sort of hacking although we also hack out in company to keep Hens fresh. The longest we've been out on our own is nearly four hours and I love it, I grew up in the countryside so spending hours exploring woods and fields on my own is heaven

I really love to hack alone, but I can understand why a lot of people find it scary - on paper, there is a lot that could go wrong, and if you're on your own you are even more vulnerable. Solo hacking is definitely a psychological challenge, especially because any nervousness or tension in the rider nearly always transmits to the horse and can start to change how they behave. I do find it interesting that a lot of people who are nervous of hacking alone, don't think twice about riding in a school when there's nobody else there... Most of the things that *could* happen our hacking could also happen in the school - napping, spooking, tanking off etc, you're not immune to it because there's a fence around you! - but a lot of nervous hackers don't seem to think about it that way.

I do think as a new/mature rider and horse owner I tend to think about the what-ifs a little more than those who have hacked out for years. I have friends who hack anywhere and everywhere and never give it a thought. But, in all seriousness I do think some precautions should be taken; mobile phone, hi-viz, safe hacking route and somebody knowing you're out.... But, Ed's a good lad and I have every faith in him (well 99% of the time!).

I would never hack out for hours, same as I wouldn't walk my dog alone for hours. I'm a people person and prefer company. But, that's just me!

I used to hack my old horse out on my own quite a lot but star is very spooky and with my confidence, in general, at an all time low I have only ever hacked him out alone once. He was pretty good but I wouldn't say it was enjoyable but more cos of me then him.
    I am however working on our confidence in general and have started making him take the lead out hacking and then work up to going out alone again as it would be handy.
    I must say I agree that I don't know why people think it's any safer to ride in the menage alone as it certainly isnt. I'm just as wary of riding in the school on my own as on a hack.

Must say I envy people who can just tack up and go out for hours.

Bexnstar, it must be very difficult if your horse a spooky and your confidence is knocked. Hopefully, through leading on hacks and just getting out and about more, you can both build confidence together.

I know it's a bit of a cliche, but tiny steps and all that. It has certainly worked for me (and still is)