Thread: Bringing a mare into milk

Default Bringing a mare into milk

Mods this is probably in the wrong place - sorry! I also don't know if this is worth being a sticky.

On the 1st July at the stud we had a mare give birth to a colt foal, mum was quite poorly before the birth and she didn't produce any milk. The vet injected her to bring her milk on but 2 days later still nothing. In the meantime we were bottle feeding the foal.

On Thursday of last week still no milk so we started looking for a potential foster mum, foal wasn't responding to the bottle as well as he should have been and wasn't gaining any weight at all.

On Thursday evening as we were trawling across the internet looking for potential foster mares we came across a drug called Domperidone which reportedly will bring a mare into milk - it was also reported that it will bring a mare into milk who doesn't have a foal. We spoke with our vet who confirmed that they had heard of it but apparently it is not widely used in the UK as it is very expensive.

We did some more digging and found that Motillon (upset stomach) tablets contain this drug so off we went and bought some, in the meantime on Friday we found Equidone which is a paste form of Domperidone and was available to order over the internet (with a vet prescription) from the states.

Whilst we were doing some digging we made contact with a few breeders in the states and also in Europe who have confirmed that yes this drug will bring a mare into milk -EVEN IF MARE DOES NOT HAVE FOAL AT FOOT.

We took our foal down to a possible foster on Saturday morning and she rejected him, sadly he gave up the fight in the early hours of Sunday morning, he just went weaker and weaker.

We are still ordering the Equidone from the states however to keep in our foaling kit from now on, had we known about this stuff when foalie was born then we have a mare who would have happily fostered him if she had had milk but we've now retired her from being a broodmare as her last 2 foals were born dead.

It's been a horrid weekend as it also looks like we are going to lose the mare, but I just wanted to share with other breeders about the Domperidone/Equidone.

What a very thoughtfull and considerate post considering the sad loss of your foal

Madlady, I've moved this to Foal to Four and stickied it, as I was concerned it would be completely overlooked in the General Board stickies. Hope that's okay!
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

Thanks Sez - just though it was useful information for the future.

Thank you. I will print this off for info and get some motillon for my foal milk service. Appreciated in what must be a terrible time for you all.

Thanks for this, i'll make sure this is in our kit too.

Extremely sorry to hear of your loss and I have everything crossed for the mare. x

Im sorry to hear about your news

Thank you for the information, I will have a look at this and order some for my kit.
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

If by putting this post up it helps to save one foal then it will be worth it.

We've now got the Equidone gel/paste that we ordered from the USA and it will be a permanent fixture in our foaling kits. According to the information we've had back from other breeders it will bring a mare into milk within 5 days, it will also help improve poor milk.

Do you now get your Equidone from Europe rather than the states? I have a mare whose milk production has fallen off 3 days post foaling and Equidone could be the answer.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk