Thread: Critique my jumping position

Default Critique my jumping position

This is one of the pro pics from the yard summer show on sunday:
    http://sc.theimagefile.co.uk/?skin=5...pwd=summer2011
    (Sorry I can't link directly, they only just got put up so I've not got my order yet)

What do you think of our technique?

It was our first class this year, the "nervous nellies" class. We went clear, got into the jumpoff and flew round to get 1st place. Which means next time we can't do the teeny tiny ones, we have to jump proper size jumps.

I'm doing my best to get a nice forward jumping position in a VSD saddle...

you look good on the first it looks like you might have thrown your reins away a bit but i cant see too clearly. You dont look to be interfering with your horse and thats the important bit.
    ♥ ♥ Curly Wurly ♥ ♥
    Sponsor a Retired Racehorse Today! http://www.newbeginningshorses.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyWurlyRach View Post
    you look good on the first it looks like you might have thrown your reins away a bit but i cant see too clearly. You dont look to be interfering with your horse and thats the important bit.
    Yes, I was determined not to catch him in the mouth lol!

Not bad at all.
    For smaller jumps, I would say you are better off just lightening your seat and folding if you can, rather than standing up as such, as that will help avoid getting in front of the movement, and possibly with the hands too.
    That said, My position is random at the best of times!

[QUOTE=alliersv;628843]Not bad at all.
    For smaller jumps, I would say you are better off just lightening your seat and folding if you can, rather than standing up as such, as that will help avoid getting in front of the movement, and possibly with the hands too.
    [QUOTE]

I do think it's harder to perfect your position on smaller jumps! Keep doing what you are doing, though and as you manage bigger jumps you'll feel better in your position

i never did feel right jumping in my VSD - hated it ended up selling to get separate jumping and dressage saddles

Quote Originally Posted by alliersv View Post
    Not bad at all.
    That said, My position is random at the best of times!
    The one thing that struck me is that you look very 'forced' (not sure if that's the right word!) in your position, as if you're having to try to get into one, when over that size of fence there's not really enough air time to do a 'textbook position' and get back up in time, so maybe just try to go with the flow a bit more?

However, it's better to do that than to gob him in the mouth or similar

Quote Originally Posted by sarahandbronson View Post

However, it's better to do that than to gob him in the mouth or similar
    Absolutely!