Thread: Following my fell off/didn't fall off diary entries (Rusty)

Default Following my fell off/didn't fall off diary entries (Rusty)

has anyone got any exercises I could do to help my balance?

I'm already aware of sitting trot/no stirrups/riding sharper corners etc but any other suggestions gratefully received from my head and I
    The trouble with words is that you never know whose mouths they have been in - Dennis Potter

My RI recommended me this book "Ride Right" by Daniel Stewart that has lots of tips/excercises. I'm not all the way through it but as another Rusty-owner, I also suffer from balance issues!riding book.jpg

Invest in a large gym ball and sit on it as if you're riding a horse and do it in front of the TV, at the computer etc. Then use it like a chair with your legs and feet in front of you. Practice doing your rising trot on the ball as well - it is far more wobbly than a real horse so you will find that with practice, it becomes less wobbly so that when you're on a horse it will naturally sort out your balance because you will have built up the muscles in your tummy and back and you will naturally develop your balance.

Another exercise is to stand on the bottom stair (if you have them, overwise you need a sturdy non tippable platform) and balance on the balls of your feet - like a diver about to do a backwards dive. Use a hand rail if you need to - but practice balancing up straight and keeping your feet parallel to the ground and when you get the hang of it without having to hold onto a rail or someone, start to slowly lift up and down as if doing a very slow rising trot but make sure you're still straight as possible and your feet are parallel to the ground
    Visit Mico

Thanks chaps, much appreciated....

Off to amazon for a little light shopping
    The trouble with words is that you never know whose mouths they have been in - Dennis Potter