Thread: Starting Western.

Default Starting Western.

Can you train an older horse western?
    I'd love to try it with Zara, obviously I know I'm not going to get her to know everything, and tbh I'd be happy if I just had western tack and rode her in it

But I'd like to train her some basic stuff, she's 13 years old but she's an Arab, so a quick learner. Do you think it'd be possible?

Before that, I need to learn the basics so I can teach them to her

I don't see why not, Spyder had western training when he was 7ish I think, following retraining after racing. He wasn't an amazing western horse, but he could do a lovely lope, neck rein, spin and jog

Ok, not the best photo but western broom polo!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/JuniperZ/Dunkery%20Hoopoe/Hoopysignature.jpg

Horse already knows it,its you that has to learn Love your horses both of you.First Western horse that made me look twice was an impeccably behaved tb

I trained Rhia to western when she was around 17. Did it bitless too (previously she'd been ridden in a bit her whole life but melanomas in her mouth meant it was too risky to bit her anymore.)
    I've done some bits with Jimbo too - Although I had to borrow a saddle for him because Rhias didn't fit him (I've sold my western saddle now)
    Both of them loved it. I keep wanting to put Jimbo back into a western saddle but currently I cannot afford to get him a saddle (He'd have to have it fitted at newark because of his awkward shape. So it'd be an expensive one!)

Berry was ridden in a western treeless before I got her. However never actually taught any western, the person just liked the saddle as all she did was hacking.

Westerns good fun. My last horse was born on a western yard I worked on, and was broken in western. Pointless post, sorry haha. Here's a pic anyway.

Sleep tight my darling boy, 06/05/1997 - 29/03/2016

There's a new web-site for anyone nterested in 'going West'. Have a look at www.westerntrainingonline.co.uk

i always wanted to try this but as my horse cant even go 100% in english yet perhaps not with her lol!!

it looks fun though