Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pictures of a good position over a low fence?

Default Pictures of a good position over a low fence?

Could anyone show me a photo of a good position over a small fence please?

I always get told to fold more and get myself more out of the saddle in my jump lessons and I'm struggling to see what they want me to do. I jump literally 2ft fences so I don't really see the need to be folding lots (and don't see how you have the air time without getting in front of the movement or collapsing forward on landing). I think it might be where I tend to do this weird 'stand up, superman' style jump position and they're trying to get me to get my butt back but pictures or an explanation would be really helpful!

I have no idea if this is a 'good' position, but when I jumped this, it felt right if that makes sense? Except I think I'm just a bit too far out of the saddle, but I'm not sure.

Sleep tight my darling boy, 06/05/1997 - 29/03/2016

I do the superman style too However, I have one photo of me (I think!) jumping vaguelly decently

Before:

After:

Maybe my bum could be abit more out of the saddle?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/JuniperZ/Dunkery%20Hoopoe/Hoopysignature.jpg

I've been told not to fold over small fences

This is my usual effort https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=1&theater

But I'm no jumper!

Quote Originally Posted by acw295 View Post
    Yeah, I was always told not to bother folding over small fences, there isn't enough time and you'll just get in the way (at my stage, I'm like a newborn girraffe, all gangly limbs and no coordination!), but latest RI (in a string of many! ) seems to very much like me very out of the saddle.

Ive had a look through my pics and cant find anything the same height as you need but on looking through them its very obvious that i have a different position depending on the horse.
    This horse (now sadly retired) had a massive pop behind - used to regulary jump me out the saddle, so i adjusted my position to suit him. Ie not so out the saddle and not as forward to stand an earthly of staying on!

Compare that position to this horse - same size ish fence and you should see what i mean!

Probably not the best angle of photo, but this is a pretty secure position over 2ft (or smaller!)

I don't go 'forwards' as much, but just think 'downwards' - so you don't get ahead of the movement and don't struggle on landing. When I first started jumping I was told to pretend I was an envelope when I folded, it probably makes no sense to some people but it clicked in my brain and I still think that way about 8 years later!

ETA: Wibs might not be the best example to use though, because even over 2ft he jumps bigger, just leaves his legs to dangle
    Last edited by sarahandbronson; 15-09-2011 at 20:16.

Here is mine!

Please excuse the chicken wing arms....d'oh

IMO, it all depends on the horse and how they jump

I don't knwo if these are any good or not but here are a few photos where I've felt very secure. (If I'm jumping from a gallop e.g. cross country I tend to have a more forward seat and therefore a much more exaggerated position over the jump. But these are all approaching slowly or during a course:

(property of Markel Photography)

Smile because it happened.
    Jimmy 2003-2011