Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pictures of a good position over a low fence?

here's a couple, i was always taught to not think about folding, infact I think its hard to not overfold and get infront of the movement if you think about it too much. My worst fault is tipping before take off so Ive been working hard on sitting up and keeping my shoulders back until I feel the horse lift and then, umm.. well after that point I can never remember a thing

teeny weeny

bit defensive

Terrible lower leg! Standing up too much and probably holding the contact too much.

Lower leg better but room for improvement. Hands are ok AFAIK but again, standing up.

Hmm

I think it does definitely depend on the horse and how they jump. I seem to come out of the saddle and more forwards on Herc than I do on others (and then theres my jumping position on Blue which is just shocking ).

(not the best angle)

(couple of years old)

(I pretty much taught myself to jump and it's only been the last couple of years that I've had a few proper jumping lessons on and off)

ETA: Sorry for the HUGE pics.

Quote Originally Posted by joosie View Post
    To be honest I think it's easy to be too fussy about your jumping position.

A few things are essential - that your lower leg is secure beneath you, that your balance is independent from your hands/reins, that you follow the movement of the horse ((rather than "jumping ahead" or getting left behind)), and that your hands/arms are "elastic" enough for the horse to make his shape over the jump without catching him in the mouth or stopping him from extending his neck as required. If you are in balance with the horse and not hampering his movement, there's no need to worry excessively about the finer details.

And as people have mentioned, what makes a jumping position "effective" often depends on the individual horse and jumping style. For example when jumping a green or difficult horse or one who is prone to refusing, your position will need to be more "defensive" than normal. If you're riding a point-and-shoot horse who will sort out his own striding and make a nice fluid jump, you can afford to worry a bit more about the other details.

For your average horse jumping 2ft from canter should barely be more effort than just another stride. For that reason you, as the rider, don't need to do much either. The "standing up" style that you're describing isn't a problem with small jumps so long as you have your lower leg beneath you and are giving with your hands. I prefer to see people being a bit too "upright" over a jump, than those over-enthusiastic riders who literally throw themselves forwards and lie on the horse's neck over a small crosspole
    This ^^^^ Dresage is one thing, but getting round a course of jump effectively AND looking pretty does not always happen. Effective and tidy and not hassling the hrose and doing everything you can to help him is what matters.

I too think it is important that you don't "stand up" but rather fold from the hip. By standing up, you end up jumping ahead of the horse.

For me, one of the biggest things that irks me are those that don't let go of their horse's mouths over a jump. I see it a lot....you don't need to give a big release, but at least give them something....

loopy rein over a jump (I know - I'm almost laying on my horse's neck here and I'm a bit ahead of the motion as well):

222444_543938304100_297901343_1517634_6049510_n.jpg

lower leg slipped back a bit in this picture and back not flat:
    217172_543259319790_297901343_1504018_4998170_n.jpg

bbbiiiiigggggg jump (and I didn't release - I was focused on trying to get him over first time around - jump was between 2'3-2'6 and was a brush box lol - he wasn't wanting to go over!!)

215161_543258636160_4720240_n.jpg

same jump but jumping the opposite way - at least I was able to give him a good release although getting him over wasn't the easiest....

215240_543259344740_4571650_n.jpg

Bit of an old thread..

Sleep tight my darling boy, 06/05/1997 - 29/03/2016

haha wow I didn't even notice the dates.

Hey it's old but i'll join in anyway...PL52 I think you look fine!

Here are my efforts, there are very few clear photos of me jumping! And I don't jump big...

Could have given more with my hands but she was so fast and strong!

And a piddly jump