Thread: Sizing a western saddle

Default Sizing a western saddle

Does anyone know how to convert English saddle sizes to western saddle sizes?

In an English saddle 17 1/2" suits me, but what size is that in a western saddle?

Also, if I do get a western saddle it will be treeless, any recomendations for makes? I'm thinking a Freemax, Freeform (do they make western saddles?) or a Bob Marshall would be good, any experience of these?

Awww gutted your getting treeless I have one for sale, but not treeless. Sorry, no help at all hope someone can help x

Sleep tight my darling boy, 06/05/1997 - 29/03/2016

Thanks any way.

Western saddle sizing is different - they refer to the seat as suitable for the rider, not the horse. It is measured from the base of the horn to the middle of the cantle (as in english saddles).

I had a 15" on a 16.2hh horse - and now I ride a 15.2hh in a 17" dressage (medium seat). In a flat jumping seat, I can fit in a 16". It does depend on the make though, as the slope of the seat is different. I have no idea about the treeless sizes - I think Wyrd on here has one (I seem to remember that she rides one of her horses western and I was pretty sure it is treeless so maybe PM her?)

Thanks for your help.

I've just bought a wintec western saddle having no experience of western & want to give it a go............any one tried this saddle?

I am now on saddle no.3 in three years with my criollo, all of which have been fitted and two of them made to measure, the last two being Equiflex Western. Western saddles need more care fitting than an English saddle and I would be very wary of buying 'off the peg'. Reason? As I understand it, because the weight is spread over a larger area it is too easy to load the loins (bridging gone mad). That said, treeless ones are far easier to fit - I would dearly love a Startrekk Hispaniola, they're treeless and a dream to sit in but rather expensive.