Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did your youngster react when you first sat on it properly ?

Default How did your youngster react when you first sat on it properly ?

I backed my 4 year old yesterday after several sessions of mounting block practice and leaning over her, it felt like the right time.

As I got on , I kept my body low, and slowly began to sit a bit more upright with lots of praise, she then, without me prompting her started to take a few little wobbly steps forward as if to adapt to the weight on her back and get her balance. After about 30 seconds, I gently dismounted.

She is the 1st horse I have backed, well I used to work at a yard where the owner would leg me up to lean over her youngster's backs before being sent away for backing, but never got to witness that actual backing process.

I was just wondering how other people's horses reacted when you first had a sit on them?

Pretty much the same. River wasn't really fussed at all. It was literally just the next step in what had been a long process that began when she was only a weanling and the most she did was flex around and peer at me with an expression that said "what're you doing up there?" and nibbled my toe
    She's not so keen on the walking on bit, as I think she's a bit bothered by the change in balance, but we're taking it slow and every session gets a little easier for her than the previous one.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

Thankyou Sez

I am so pleased with her, Ive had her from birth, so like you with River, ive had the oppurtunity to bond and prepare her for this moment, which was just another training session really!

But in my heart it was a huge occasion and I was just happy that she didnt fall over or something.

I gave her a day off today, I just lead her up to the yard to our tying area and gave her her bucket feed, hooves picked out and carrots and led her back down to her field.

I might long rein her tomorrow as she loves taking me for little jaunts around the yard!, and may have a little sit on her for a few seconds on friday and get off again.

Sounds brilliant!
    I've backed a lot of horses and never got much of a reaction as tend to only sit on them when I think they're ready!

Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post
    Sounds brilliant!
    I've backed a lot of horses and never got much of a reaction as tend to only sit on them when I think they're ready!
    I think she would have literally grabbed me by the shoulders and swung me over her back and backed herself if i'd made her wait any longer!!.

She sees me riding her mum most days and is probably itching to get out and about and prove how grown up she is.

Kaiser carried on munching his haynet He wasnt really bothered by anything to do with backing

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain."

My youngster didn't bat an eyelid, she's still getting the hang of walking with the additional weight though

Most don't tend to react much if they've had good groundwork and haven't been rushed

Quote Originally Posted by bitsnpieces View Post
    My youngster didn't bat an eyelid, she's still getting the hang of walking with the additional weight though

Most don't tend to react much if they've had good groundwork and haven't been rushed
    Good luck with your youngster

I am going to just sit on her for the time being, but after a few sit ons, I will see if she can walk a few steps away from the mounting block and then work it up to walking from the block to her tying up area a few metres away.

Ted resumed munching his hay from the floor...

The second time he spooked at my foot (well flinched really) because he hadn't even noticed me get up there... Now we are doing wonderful things together

Minstrel p'eed off with me, bucked and then walked at the slowest pace after... I stuck to him, he was a big lad and seemed more then ready but for some reason was very opinionated we tried many methods until suddenly at about 5 it all clicked!!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Minstrel sounds like a real character! He just wanted to demonstrate to you his athletic side!!. At least it didnt last long though!