Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting the young horse

my belle is 3, she has been bitted when she was a yearling with straight bar rubber for showing, then i moved onto a french link loose ring when she was rising 3. i am still to sit on her. i am aiming on tacking her up tomorrow. i will be just doing it the "french" way lol

Appley was bitted at 2 and a half or something, but not longreined in a bit until she was 3 (we used a dually instead).
    i'd be wary of riding and leading such a young horse with a bit in - if he gets a scare he'll get a big old yank in the mouth with the bit which he most def won't like. could you use a dually for it instead - gives more control than a headcollar but isnt in the mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by Notpoodle View Post
    Appley was bitted at 2 and a half or something, but not longreined in a bit until she was 3 (we used a dually instead).
    i'd be wary of riding and leading such a young horse with a bit in - if he gets a scare he'll get a big old yank in the mouth with the bit which he most def won't like. could you use a dually for it instead - gives more control than a headcollar but isnt in the mouth?
    Glad you bought that up. TBH hadn't thought about that

Sez - Basics are getting there, hes not been handled much properly so I'm not expecting miracles. He leads fine, does halt to walk, walk to trot etc while being lead. The most difficult thing was trotting inhand, as he thought he wasn't allowed (think someone might have told him off for it at some stage before we got him) but know he knows he won't hes fine.
    He backs up, steps to the side, gets out of space when asked. Can touch him everywhere with brushes and hands, not tryed with anything else but will give it a go. You can pick up all 4 feet fine, but you have to be quick as hes not very balanced yet so tends to wobble about, bless him.
    He has also had some rugs on, more to get him used to the idea as hes never worn one before, but he has them put on and taken off straight away (wouldn't leave them on in this weather, he'd cook! ).

Tasha - I thought it was spelt wrong put the computer assures me that bitting isn't a word and underlines it, so I believed the computer
    RIP Forest,always in my heart.I can never forget the times we had together. Run free.I'll see you again one day

Hehe!

If you want to lead him with a bit, put the bridle over the headcollar and use 2 lead ropes - one from a coupling on the bit and the other on the headcollar. At first use the headcollar one, and gradually introduce the bit one until you can dispense with the headcollar.

Ive been playing with Annie on this sort of thing this week. First of all Ive been putting the tip of my thumb in her mouth, literally just in her lips. As soon as she settled, I'd take it out and scritch her favourite spot. Then I put my thumb right in, and this afternoon I put a flat material leadrope in her mouth. Again as soon as she settled, out it came and scritchies. When she is perfectly happy with this I will graduate to a bit, but tbh Im in no hurry so I doubt it will be until Xmas. I tend to play with her regularly for a week or two, and then leave her for a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by joosie View Post
    Just do it the French way Wait til they're 3(ish) - then bit them, back them, hack them out on the roads straight away, and voila!
    I think my YOP may have taken a leaf out of the French book! His get nothing done untill they are 2 1/2-3 then bitted and backed and most likely ridden away! he's got a field with 3 in at the moment that havent been handled at all since before summer!

FG-with regards to bitting, Alfie still has a very baby mouth (he was 2 in September) and small teeth but has been fine with a bit on his mouth. I was going to leave him longer but he was so strong to show I had to! So if the dentist says he's fine too I wouldnt worry Alfie has a 4" French link at the moment and is very happy with it too
    If I had nothing but I still had my horse and my Teddy, I'd still have everything I ever needed.

Indy.