Thread: Girths for a western saddle

Default Girths for a western saddle

I'm sure I've read or seen somewhere that there are 2 ways of girthing up a western saddle.

Please excuse my ignorance as I don't know the correct names, but is there the 'proper' western way with 2 girths and then the English way, where the rings for the rear girth are joined to the front girth, so only one girth is used

Sorry, I didn't explain that very well.

I've found this.............. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCIt7JxyF3c

But what are all the straps called and how do I work out what lengths I need?

Sorry for all the numpty questions, there will be more

I've never done the whole going across to a different buckle like she did. I can try make a video with mine if you want me to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_saddle < If you go to the construction part, there is a picture on the right showing you all the names. Hope this helps?

ETA Just read what you said properly and your asking about what she done.. I think It's too late lol!

Sleep tight my darling boy, 06/05/1997 - 29/03/2016

Thank you very much for your reply gillianclaude.

That Wiki link is very useful, and they haven't girthed up like my Youtube lady at all, I think she's been planted just to confuse me, lol

A video of how you do it would be really good, please, thank you.

Not a problem! will do it after I've had my tea. Need to go find it under the mass of rugs in the shed

Sleep tight my darling boy, 06/05/1997 - 29/03/2016

Cinch

The saddles I have used have either been 'tied' or buckled up more like an English saddle. I can't view the vids or wiki link at moment, but not sure what you mean by the 2nd girth/cinch unless you mean the belly strap which I was taught to do up only enough to get 2 fingers under (like a cavesson noseband) as it is to effectively stop the back of the saddle from jumping up and down over the kidneys!
    Visit Mico

Quote Originally Posted by Elly Koopman View Post
    Cinch

The saddles I have used have either been 'tied' or buckled up more like an English saddle. I can't view the vids or wiki link at moment, but not sure what you mean by the 2nd girth/cinch unless you mean the belly strap which I was taught to do up only enough to get 2 fingers under (like a cavesson noseband) as it is to effectively stop the back of the saddle from jumping up and down over the kidneys!
    Thank you Elly Koopman by the second cinch I mean like this link http://images.1aff.org/squidoo/western_saddles.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
    I've found this.............. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCIt7JxyF3c

But what are all the straps called and how do I work out what lengths I need?

Sorry for all the numpty questions, there will be more
    on my laptop so can see things now! In all the time I rode western, I have never seen that!!! The woman appears to be using a conventional billet/string with a buckled cinch? With a buckled cinch you can use a ring that sits abouve the shoulder on the saddle (think it is on the wiki picture) but normally to loop through the excess billet strap

The 2nd ring on the treeless/enduro saddle on the youtube I think is used more for stability of the saddle - on a western saddle it is a 'nice to have' unless you are doing some real work in it in which case you would have the belly strap...
    Visit Mico

Thanks for that Elly.

So that woman was sent just to confuse me (easily done) lol