Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunt Report, Bloodhounds opening meet.

Default Hunt Report, Bloodhounds opening meet.

Clava got a hunt jacket from Father Christmas last year and today she finally got to play with; on a boiling hot autumn day

Clava took Hattie and I took Tess to the opening meet of the Bloodhounds. Tasha's sister was visiting for the weekend so Tasha gave it a miss. We had a Fantastic day. There was a bit of stress on my part trying to plait Tess up this morning. She has decided that she must toss her head at all times (but what a surprised she forgot all about it as soon as she realised we were at a meet!) so I ended up pulling it all out because I wasn't going to have time to finish it and make it neat. Clava in the meantime had plaited and booted Hattie. We still managed to be rushing around for the last ten minutes before we left.

It was a gorgeous day, not a cloud in the sky for most of the day and lovely and warm. We got to the meet about 15 minutes early and there weren't many people there. All of sudden I looked around and the field was full. There must have been nearly 50 riders there not including the hunt staff plus the quarry's and lots of foot followers.

The first hunt was about a 10 minute hack from the meet, it was a really long one. I love that sound when the hounds start to speak and you hear the horn. That's the best bit for me, well that and the part when you turn in to the first hunt and see the field streaming away from you as your horse leaps in to canter We had some long canters through grassland and stubble, some of the grass was very long. On the last canter on the stubble we were doing aeroplane impressions with our arms and now hands on the reins. Hattie and Tess are Good Girls. One lady was having trouble with her horse. She had jumped off because she had no breaks and the horse was just spinning in circles so we pealed off from the field and stood with her to try and help calm the horse. She retired because the horse was completely out of it. There were two stallions in the field, a Welsh Cob and a Dales. They were both huge (in a bad way) and the Dales was so out of breath it took him an age to recover. I wouldn't be hunting a horse that unfit!

We had to do a lot of road work to get to the second hunt. It felt like miles and miles that we were jogging and trotting. It did make us feel a bit smug when the horses with shoes were slipping ass we merrily trotted down hills and round bends with out a second though The second hunt was a bit shorter but not much. I had a minor brake failure when cantering towards a jump. I couldn't stop so had to circle and might have cut Clava up a teeny bit I didn't jump but I hadn't planned to anyway. The jumps all look huge to me! Tasha, you wouldn't have liked it because there were some rather steep downhill canters/gallops.

The third hunt wasn't quite so far away but still seemed to bit a long trot down the roads. I road one handed on the last hunt and video'd it, until I ran out of battery anyway Tess took the opportunity to leave Hattie and try to get to the front lol.

The masters went on to do a forth hunt but it was taking us in the wrong direction and as it is a four mile hack home from the meet we decided to leave then.

Hattie was a tired girl but Tess still had some beans left so we had a canter along the bridleway on the way home.

And so two tired, sweaty, mucky, dog eared looking riders arrived back at Farm Clava. Horses were fed and watered/ Humans got to get off and stretch their legs. We must have been in the saddle a good five hours

Pics to come.

Nice but sweaty horse

Tired now

Endomondo has only downloaded the first half mile of the hunt, very annoying.

Oh I also started this today by getting up at 4.30 to drive my parents to Heathow Airport (85 miles in thick fog). I nearly died when they told me the date they had booked their holiday was the same as the opening meet!

Fab photos, and a lovely report! I so want to go hunting... I just have to find someone to go with!

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain."

It was an absolutely BRILLIANT day Hattie was so good, I couldn't fault her. I was a bit nervous riding in hoofboots but I knew the going would be dry and TBH they were fantastic but really hard to get off at the end of the day!

We didn't jump, but I was tempted to and next time (if there is another one we can get to) I think I'll try a small one. We had some amazing canters over grassland which is not what I was expecting as I thought it would be stubble fields. My jacket was ridiculously hot but comfy. I am feeling a bit tired now though... We trotted far more than I expected, but Hattie loved it.

A motorbike club had chosen today for a 100 mile route around our lanes, I think we ended up holding them up a bit.

Anyone spot my tacking up mistake?? I did correct it before we got to the meet
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

CP you can go on your own. I have done before

Looks like great fun,noseband over the top, done that before.
    Lovely pictures.

Mother always told me honesty is the best policy, but for most the truth hurts.

Fab pics!
    "The past is only the future with the lights on" - +44

Quote Originally Posted by Clava View Post
    It was an absolutely BRILLIANT day Hattie was so good, I couldn't fault her. I was a bit nervous riding in hoofboots but I knew the going would be dry and TBH they were fantastic but really hard to get off at the end of the day!

We didn't jump, but I was tempted to and next time (if there is another one we can get to) I think I'll try a small one. We had some amazing canters over grassland which is not what I was expecting as I thought it would be stubble fields. My jacket was ridiculously hot but comfy. I am feeling a bit tired now though... We trotted far more than I expected, but Hattie loved it.

A motorbike club had chosen today for a 100 mile route around our lanes, I think we ended up holding them up a bit.

Anyone spot my tacking up mistake?? I did correct it before we got to the meet
    I did lol. I notice you had it sorted in the meet pic
    All been there

Glad you both had a good time. Looks like a good turnout, and a lovely day for it too