Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunt Report, Bloodhounds opening meet.

It was an absolutely BRILLIANT day Hattie was so good, I couldn't fault her. I was a bit nervous riding in hoofboots but I knew the going would be dry and TBH they were fantastic but really hard to get off at the end of the day!
    Looking at those I'd be really wary about using those for any longer than half an hour at a time. The reason I say this is I used to do 40mile endurance rides without shoes. There were no hoof boots back in the 70's it was shod or no shoes, you took the chance.

A friend decides to put over -reach boots on her boy for a 30 mile ride and they made him so lame though rubbing that we NEVER used any kind of leg protection again after that. It was more trouble than it was worth. HIs injuries were really nasty. IN fact I think the rules were changed that no bandages or leg/foot protection was allowed in endurance rides after than. I think when Easy boots came in you were allowed to use one if you lost a shoe, but that was it. The rules, no doubt have changed again and again since I last did endurance back in the late 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Looking at those I'd be really wary about using those for any longer than half an hour at a time. The reason I say this is I used to do 40mile endurance rides without shoes. There were no hoof boots back in the 70's it was shod or no shoes, you took the chance.

A friend decides to put over -reach boots on her boy for a 30 mile ride and they made him so lame though rubbing that we NEVER used any kind of leg protection again after that. It was more trouble than it was worth. HIs injuries were really nasty. IN fact I think the rules were changed that no bandages or leg/foot protection was allowed in endurance rides after than. I think when Easy boots came in you were allowed to use one if you lost a shoe, but that was it. The rules, no doubt have changed again and again since I last did endurance back in the late 80's.
    Well, we did over 5 hours yesterday and not a single rub or even a mark on any part of her hoof or fetlock.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

But what was the going like?

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    But what was the going like?
    The going was dry and good, mostly grass but one very stoney stubble field. I have however used these boots in deep mud with Belle and again no rubbing at all. I'm hoping that her hooves will have improved by the next hunt as I seem to have her diet under control now (and a good mix of supplements) as front hooves are growing more upright, some concavity (they were as flat as pancakes last year) and event line free . The hind hooves are looking brilliant and coped fine.

A little video (A&T would have chosen better music )