Thread: XC clinic with Jeanette Brakewell! REPORT!

Default XC clinic with Jeanette Brakewell! REPORT!

Ok! I finally have time to sit down and write it all out! It's been a hectic 2 days!

It was fab!

There were 5 of us in the class and I'm pleased to say that I wasn't quite bottom of the group! Jeanette did a good job of adapting the jumps for all of us so none of us were overfaced or bored.

She started us off over a log to see how we did - Otto ducked out and I was made to put my stirrups up an extra hole. We all did it a few times and she told me to have my legs further forwards on the girth to give a securer seat.

Then we moved over to another area where she put a course together for us.

The first few refused the first jump so by the time it got to me we had 2 extra 'nicer' jumps to add in.

This one I felt was quite large! It was wide and had a big puddle on take off!

He would have refused this one if only that pesky tree hadn't been in his way!

Chair

Roll top which also appeared large!

This one Otto didn't like and it took 3 attempts to get him over - again lots of water which I think put him off a bit

Then we moved back down to the bottom where we attempted another mini course including dum dum duuummmm.... a ditch!! (Never done a ditch before but quite wanted to!)

The other 3 horses tried a blimmin huge trakenher which was set at a right angle over a ditch. The first person ended up in the ditch with her horse looking down at her and it then took a while to get them over it. The next got over it with a struggle, and the 3rd who was off out doing Be100 flew it. Me and the other woman were feeling a little sick at this point and were quite relieved when Jeanette suggested we just do a plain open ditch!

First time Otto didn;t even see it and we ended up with a hop in and oout of it with a hind leg but the 2nd time (I was expecting a great big cat leap or something) he just popped it as quiet as anything as if he does ditches all the time!

roll top to the ditch

popping the ditch!

Then we moved over to the banks!

And our little ditchy trakenher wotsit! One of the other horses had a major hissy fit at getting over it so I wasn't sure what Otto would do but he just cantered up to it, tiny hesitation as he put his head down to look and then jumped!

Water!!!
    We all went in and had a paddle and then in individually to have a play!

Otto was hilarious in the water and the photos don't quite do him justice - the video is so funny!

He went in no problems but had to high step it whilst in there. The first time I asked him to jump into the water over the roll top he stepped into it one leg at a time, and as for jumping in from the step down - no chance bless him - quite cute!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ4Ao4Gp4Yc

It was great fun and it's made me more confident too - we never had the chance to look at the jumps so it was a case of cantering up to them and getting on with it. She suggested spurs, and to ride him more forward generally and lots more practice in the water. Oh, and I'm not allowed to let him refuse ever!!

It was supposed to be for 1.5hrs but it ended up as just over 2hrs in length!
    Last edited by mu0ljk; 29-10-2011 at 07:50.

Sounds like a good lesson! Otto is lovely, very smart hogged

Great video - really useful to see for those of us who aspire to do these things one day...

Aww. Otto is cute
    Bless him.

Looks like it was a great lesson.

Aww bless him he did sooo well, lovely pics and great vid. He's an honest little thing isn't he even if he does need a bit of encouragement. Well done :-)

Otto was fab! You can practically see him trying to work the water bit out in the video!

That looks like huge fun!
    Otto looks very genuine. He's a fab fellow.
    Great pics and vids, thankyou for sharing

Lovely horse!

Looks like a great day and you are a lot braver than me! Well done!
    Kat

Small Horse - big heart, big personality!

He is lovely well done!