Thread: Planning for next year..

Question Planning for next year..

Hi guys,

I am going to do some endurance riding with the golden one next year, as he is bored with showing. I would like some advice on how fit he should be for the 20k rides (that's all my ass will manage) and what else I need to think about.

I have synthetic bridle and I will have a new saddle for next year (current one slides on him) and he has his hoof boots. What else do I need? He will be 20 next year - will he be OK?

Advice from all you pro's gratefully received

For a 20km ride (pretty much the longest we've done!) I've had my lad at pretty good fitness, managing 3hr hack with still some fuel left in the tank by the end! And by a 3hr hack....purposeful walk, trot, canter and gallops, lots of trot, good bit of canter and a few short gallops.
    I'm not sure how else to describe lol! Aslong as he's fit I don't see there being an issue with his age, but remember electrolytes They are very important, and perhaps speedibeet to make up a slop to give him any electrolytes he may require, also a first aid kit in a bumbag is another essential.
    I'm no expert having only done about 6 endurance rides but thought I'd give a wee bit of guidance

The love for a horse is just as complicated as the love for another human being...if you never love a horse, you will never understand

Thanks Sophie, that's great! He's good to go for 3 or 4 hour hacks, and he loves fast, so we should be ok in that case. The drinking thing could be an issue - he never drinks when we're out, hates sugarbeet. Perhaps some fruit juice in his water with some electrolytes might do the trick? Mmm food for thought, thanks for your reply!

You really don't need to worry about electrolytes for 20k . Horses are designed to roam for miles & miles! As long has he is in good general health you don't need ot train specifically for 20k either, as basic all round fitness (from ambling about in the field and from being schooled or hacked) will be plenty. Have fun

He'll be fine for that sort of distance, especially if you do longish hacks already. I did a couple of endurance type rides with Bobbi last year and fittened her up just by lots of prolonged trotting on hacks with a few canters thrown in. She was still raring to go at the end of the rides!

Thanks guys! Jos loves his hacks - he could go all day I think, as long as we had a few snack breaks as we go

First thing - plans are baaaaaaaad. The endurance gods listen, you see, and then come up with new and inventive ways to scupper them.... Vague aims or thoughts or intentions you might get away with but not plans.

My general rule of thumb is that if pony is capable of a couple of hours active hacking, he should be good to go for a 20km. You shouldn't need to worry about e-lytes, and most shop bought ones are rubbish anyway. If I do use e-lytes (which is generally only if it's really hot) I make my own out of equal portions of regular salt and Lo salt. The important thing with e-lytes is that they must be well hydrated first or you can cause them a worse problem.

It is worth trying to get the drinking cracked, as it will stand you in good stead for the future. Horses are annoying, because when they get dehydrated and need to drink, their thirst goes and they won't drink. There is a school of thought that says that if they've stopped drinking, they're already dehydrated, and from my experience I'd agree with that.

If they won't drink much away from home, I generally feed sloppy feeds for a couple of days beforehand and I make sure they've got plenty of fibre in their diet. I take carrots to the ride and give them the carrots to eat. I also let them have a bite or two of grass to eat every hour or so while I'm out on the trail. If I can keep something going through them all the time, and that something contains fibre and moisture, I generally find that they will then drink when they reach water. You will see people doing the longer distances pouring water over their horses (sloshing) - this helps cool them down and assists with keeping them hydrated because they won't lose as much fluid through overheating. If it is hot and your pone is quite chunky, it's worth tying a sponge or an empty slosh bottle to your saddle, so that if you do find a trough out there you can do similar.

I've started putting some videos up from an 'ask the panel' event that we had earlier in the year, which you might find helpful:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/WestridingEGB

I will get the other parts to the video up soon, promise.

Thanks esther, that's brilliant!! Ooh, all excited now! We have snack stops on our rides anyway, so hopefully that will keep him going. Might see you at some rides next year - it's the North and East branch I am going to go out with initially, but I know a few people who ride with your group xx

You may well see us if you're NE group - we hang out at quite a few of their rides, either riding or helping. You can't miss Kezza and Spud, they wear a lot of pink, so feel free to say hello. Spud likes endurance because he gets to canter and he gets to eat, which are his two favourite things......

Quote Originally Posted by esther View Post
    Spud likes endurance because he gets to canter and he gets to eat, which are his two favourite things......
    Sounds just like Jos I'll look out for them, we also wear pink quite a lot. Jos isn't too impressed, but it does suit him!