Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding Boots for a fused ankle (& Some hope for those considering a fusion!).

Default Riding Boots for a fused ankle (& Some hope for those considering a fusion!).

So I've now had my fusion and am back in normal footwear and walking fairly comfortably. I am going to be purchasing new boots shortly and as Ive been out for so long I have no idea whats out there atm in terms of suitable footwear. My ankle has very limited bend now - more up/down movement than side to side but I cannot get my foot in a shoe that doesnt have zips or laces. Laces are best as its swollen. Long boots are a no-no (I ride better in short ones regardless & I wont give up my chaps ) . We tried normal boots with zips on the side & I couldnt bend my foot enough to go in. So if a zip would need to be a rear zip I think. The criteria is: must be very supportive on the ankle, laced preferably or a combination of lace/zip, able to withstand doing yard stuff (they wont just be for riding), will go under chaps, not really narrow fitting, easy to get on and not too expensive. Any ideas would be appreciated I did see the shires paddock ones with the laces and rear zip http://www.hangmanshallequestrian.co...900-1089-p.asp but are they any good? anyone have these?

& a bit of hope for those thinking of fusion... I actually have more movement now than I had before. A lot less pain. My ankle is according to my RI friend more suited to riding now than it was before. She thinks I should get away with normal irons and treads and should be able to get my heel down a bit through my knee. Not hugely, but better than it was before I had it done.

no advice on footwear, but thats great about your op success
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

I will try remember to look what make my joddy boots are later (I want to say rhino or something like that) but they sound like what you need/want.

They hare laced at the front and zip up the back, and they still have that stretchy stuff in the side so will give while your ankle is swollen. They are quite soft leather so not sure how supportive they would be on their own, but chaps will add that extra support.

They're are a few years old now and I tend to work in them too in summer (I don't find warm enough for working in during winter or waterproof when there are deep puddles/mud - but thats the same for any lace ups/joddy boots) and they are still going strong.

Also I'm pretty sure I got them from the saddlery near Retford so not that far from you if you can get there :thumbsup:

^ Ohh they sound fab! Do you mean Bridleway & Gauntleys? thats where Im supposed to be going to look at stuff soon

No I think it's actually called Retford saddlery. Theres a feed place next to it.

They look like the paddock boots you posted the link to but have more of a grippy bottom.

I'd go for a pair of ariat terrains. I know they're not as traditional but they are very supportive yet flexible. I love mine as does Joosie

Ariat terrains.

Retford saddlery is just down the road from bridleways, must say I love the staff there but for riders stuff I prefer Retford saddlery. You'll find directions on their website, but you kinda come out of bridleways car park, do a right, then a right at the junction and if I remember correctly a left and it's on that road. Not been for a while so directions are rusty!

Feed place next door is cobbs country store. Do nice ice creams there!

Ariat terrains aren't hugely cheap, but they work out hugely cost effective when 8 years down the line you can still put said pair of boots on and ride. Newer ones are actually waterproof too. I currently live (when at home) in a pair of telluride's, they're comfy but as they're leather, took some what more breaking in than my terrains.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Snip/sig.png[/IMG]

[COLOR=Magenta]A [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]horse [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]gallops [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]with [/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]his [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]lungs,[/COLOR] [COLOR=Magenta]perseveres [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]his [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]heart,[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]and [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]wins [/COLOR][COLOR=Magenta]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]his [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]character.[/COLOR]

hmm, I tried some tellurides on recently, liked them. How hardwearing do you think them to be, as Im massively hard on boots and reluctant to spend so much on boots if they dont last...
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

The only problem I would have with ariats is the price unless they were in a sale. I wanted equitechtor ones originally but its out of my price range in all honesty. I cant afford more than 45 ish really, as Im only an RS rider, Im getting them as an early present and I need new gloves and stuff too. I used to have saxon ones but the sole came off after 2 years of weekly lessons (not bad tbh for 15 boots) and they have discontinued the lace version - shame as they never rubbed me.

ha my saxons lasted 2 weeks

What size are you, I'll do a quick google for any sale possibillties
    [/URL].[/CENTER]