Thread: Exercising a broken horse? Ideas please

Default Exercising a broken horse? Ideas please

Maje has some rotation of P3 in one hoof.. Following a few months boxrest and a farrier that crippled him inadvertently to the point I was having to consider pts, my original farrier, H, has come back since April and commutes from Bristol just to look after my lad.. He has been turned out with Princess since then, sound after the first shoeing with H, loose in my barn and concrete turnout yard with constant access to his bed.. Flooring is a mix of straw bed, concrete and rubber matting.. Benefits of your own yard..

Anyway, the big git is now looking fab and feeling fab, still away to go though.. Poor lad is desperate to go out now.. He hand grazes under lami clinic recommendation but totally spacks out when his feet touch grass, the manège or any inhand exercise.. Not prepared to sedate as hes perfectly behaved at all other times, he's just extremely overexciteable to be doing.. Loves to work.. Think GP or PSG inhand with one and two legged bucks sideways.. Beautiful but not constructive..

So any suggestions for safe exercise ideas for my lad that won't risk the healing process of his dodgy foot?

Cookies and Baileys xx

Hey hun - nice to see you active again!

I would use an exercise band tied to a roller and going round his bum to increase the amount of effort he needs to exert and hand walk him to start the build up process.

I use these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/66FIT-Extra-...119130&sr=8-28 - they do them in different strengths - I use the blue one on scully!

Hi Chris.. Not sure how much use that would be at this stage..?? When he's not bucking he's so collected he's virtually on the spot.. Definitely worth thinking about though once he has calmed down a bit.. I'll try and upload a video to show the gist of what he's like.. Brilliant to see but frustrating for both of us..

I would turn him out in the menage to let him have a run around, after checking with the vet first. If it's a good surface it should be okay for his feet. And if his feet are still sore then he won't go mad.

I agree, if and went he's at a stage where its safe to do so, turn him out somewhere enclosed for 5-10 mins before you do you in hand walks to keep hm sane ..
    For sale - Endurance irons - 17.5 treeless saddle used once with pad and stirrups, and hunters martingale full / xfull pm for details

The benefit is that it triples the amount of work they do - so the slower pace is likely to be more satisfying for him as he is having to work harder. Bit like walking up a hill.

My vet's first suggestion when I was in this situation was to try walking under saddle rather than in hand. That worked for 10 days before he exploded, ripped off one hind shoe & pad, twisted the other through 90 degrees, shunted both fronts & left me unable to put one heel to the ground or nearly a fortnight (not to mention some very impressive bruises) - hmmm, much safer for both of us then . After that I threw a hissy fit & said he either went out on a small scrubby patch or he went back on box rest, with sedation, until he could because I wasn't leading him or riding him again until he could let off some steam. It was nerve wracking watcing him go out - & blasted scary getting him there! - but with proper supports on his shoes he came to no harm & at that stage it was a case of picking the least dangerous option for everyone involved.

I'd seriously consider turnout out in a very small, poor area.
    I was so young & full of pride
    And you were wild & strong,
    I never knew how weak I was

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
    Know when to walk away, know when to run
    You never count your money, when you're sittin' at the table.
    There'll be time enough for countin', when the dealin's done.