Thread: ideal exercise cart etc for small pony? and going forward issue

Default ideal exercise cart etc for small pony? and going forward issue

I have a 16yo welsh Sec A 11.3 quite fine, id like to break to drive, we did get her a harness before but it was pony size and too big for her.

ive had some advice about carts but the ones ive been advised to get are quite expensive , Id just like something to get started to see if she will take to it but obviously safe, some of the ones ive seen for sale look a bit dodgy and home made.

What harness would fit a small pony like that, would i need to go to shetland size or would that be too small .

Lastly we have had her out long reining on the roads etc shes fantastic but as soon as I ask her to go forward alone without someone at her head, she stops dead and just tries to turn around, any advice on sorting this?

thanks
    'There is more to life than just horses, theres also ponies'

Handmade Horsehair Jewellery, Sterling Silver. From The Tail Jewellery

practice is the key, I find, and lots of positive reinforcement. What's she like to longrein in the field or school? What's she like to ride out alone on the roads?

It's not everyone's first choice, but I love my Robinsons 2 wheeler cart for my 12hh welshie. It fits her well and although some will tell you horror stories, it's never let me down. It's also far and away much better than anything of a similar price available on ebay!

Shes worse long reining in the field and has never been ridden, only shown in hand and knows voice aids, she in the epitome of stubborn but maybe I'm doing something wrong and shes not understanding me?

I did look at the robinsons carts and did think they looked better than some of the maccled together stuff on ebay

Does she lunge?
    (I do need to measure that bridle for you still too)

she does does lunge yes, however tends to get a bit carried away and rushes it, I had her out again this morning went straight back to basics walking in hand with voice commands and trying to get her to walk in front a bit, its difficult when theres only one of me lol. I tried long reins and she went forward a bit but then just tried to go in circles or head down eating, problem is shes not bothered about anything, even a lunge whip behind her doesnt bother her into going forwards

I'd maybe start with lunging with two lines, but lots of changes of rein and things to keep her thinking and moving forwards, in the school. And then move that out to the field, making your working area bigger and bigger by using the lunge lines to make her go straight instead of just around you. Poles are good for this as they're concentrating on stepping straight over them rather than rushing around you. Also cones make good obstacles for sending her straight albeit whilst weaving through them.
    It is difficult with only being one of you, I'm in the same position in the main. But if you can lunge her then thats a good start to long lining. I did find that (as my pony wouldn't kick) it was far easier to use a schooling whip than a lunge whip when advancing from lunging to longlining when out.
    It's far easier to show you than describe!

thank you, i dont have access to a school so will have to be in the field, will try a schooling whip and cones see what we can achieve lol