Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Today I went hunting for the first time............

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,727

    Default Today I went hunting for the first time............

    ...........and survived!!! Just :gap:

    It was Bloodhounds, hadn't managed to get to hound exercise so in at the deep end.

    Bear in mind I only jump about 2ft 3 and that is rare and am a wimp

    The jumps were terrifying, mostly around the 3ft mark and bigger and although I went around the really scary hedge stuff I had to jump about 10 things that scared me witless with no run up. We only had 1 strop but I cleared it 2nd time.

    Photos of the meet here (small I'm afraid). http://farmersbloodhounds.co.uk/stowemeet.htm
    Spot me doing the classic defensive seat over something that was huge by my standards. Seconds later I was around her neck with no stirrups about to hit the deck. I managed to stick on somehow and Molly stopped to allow me to get the pedals back despite the field being miles ahead.

    Sadly my friend had a nasty fall and I am just back from A&E, but she is ok and has been allowed home. Molly just got tea and was chucked out in field so hope she is ok, couldn't check her properly as had to get friend to hospital. We were out a bit too long I think, she was knackered (did 3 lines out of 4). Lesson learnt!!

    I was both amazed and terrified at the same time. It was madness.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Downs
    Posts
    13,025

    Default

    Glad you survived, it sounds scary...I'm not sure whether you enjoyed it or not? Did you? Sorry to hear your friend had a nasty fall.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clava View Post
    Glad you survived, it sounds scary...I'm not sure whether you enjoyed it or not? Did you? Sorry to hear your friend had a nasty fall.
    I'm not sure yet!! Loved the first 2 lines, could go around everything I didn't like and Molly felt fantastic, we had a wicked time galloping up and down hills etc. 3rd line was hairy, lots you had to jump and Molly was starting to flag (she wasn't on her knees by any means but combined with the jumps it was a bit scary and my friends fall finished me off. I was beaming at the end but in the hospital I think I went in to shock at bit when thinking about it all. Not helped by lack of food!

    Everyone was fantastic, really welcoming and will go back - but really need to improve my jumping - they are fast and furious and its not for wimps. We may also try the other hunts as jumping might be less mad. Our Bloodhounds call 3ft upright rails a simple hunt jump...its not simple to me!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    7,601

    Default

    I sympathise - sounds like a mixed day!
    I tell myself all boundary rails are 2ft6 and close my eyes as they get nearer!



  5. #5

    Default

    Hope your friend is ok. Sounds like a super day!

    I love the hunt jumps you have - well done jumping them! They are big enough but such lovely fences. Inviting jumps with lovely take offs and landings *jealous*!

    I'm feeling wimpy atm but I would jump those!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    3,001

    Default

    If anyone cant find Amy, her photo is the 15th row, 3rd from the left !! Looks like she is nearly clearing the height of the 5 bar gate next to it !!!
    You should be really proud hun, i think i would have given up after the first line - Molly loves her hunting its fair to say, how did you find her ??

    You should try the Oakley and Pytchley. Have been out with both a number of times and ive rarely jumped anything more than 3ft
    Well done you xxx

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Downs
    Posts
    13,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acw295 View Post
    I'm not sure yet!! Loved the first 2 lines, could go around everything I didn't like and Molly felt fantastic, we had a wicked time galloping up and down hills etc. 3rd line was hairy, lots you had to jump and Molly was starting to flag (she wasn't on her knees by any means but combined with the jumps it was a bit scary and my friends fall finished me off. I was beaming at the end but in the hospital I think I went in to shock at bit when thinking about it all. Not helped by lack of food!

    Everyone was fantastic, really welcoming and will go back - but really need to improve my jumping - they are fast and furious and its not for wimps. We may also try the other hunts as jumping might be less mad. Our Bloodhounds call 3ft upright rails a simple hunt jump...its not simple to me!
    Well I'm glad you had some fun, that gallopy buzz is brilliant, but it is a shame it had such an unpleasant end.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toffee Monster View Post
    If anyone cant find Amy, her photo is the 15th row, 3rd from the left !! Looks like she is nearly clearing the height of the 5 bar gate next to it !!!
    You should be really proud hun, i think i would have given up after the first line - Molly loves her hunting its fair to say, how did you find her ??

    You should try the Oakley and Pytchley. Have been out with both a number of times and ive rarely jumped anything more than 3ft
    Well done you xxx
    Thanks Nat, she was fantastically well behaved, forward and a bit strong at times but the pelham (with roundings) and martingale was fine - I could stop easily. Only thing was as she got tired she got very on the forehand and heavy - but she loved it and was very relaxed. She really looked after me she is so special.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leics
    Posts
    4,576

    Default

    Good grief... very brave. Well done. Hope your friend is ok..

    x

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6,283

    Default

    Well done for giving it all a go, very brave of you jumping out of you comfort level the more you do it the better you will find the experience

    I do hope your friend is okay, its not nice when someone has a nasty fall.

    Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

    Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

    Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •