Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games

Default Games

Does anyone have any good ideas for some games and exercises for novice children riders? Most of the kids I have started teaching can trot and canter, to a fashion, but need some ideas of games and ideas to keep them interested. I know quite alot of saddle stretches and thread the needle, scissors, round the world......

Any ideas welcome!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][COLOR="purple"][B]Proud owner of Mr B - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3FBAmksF8M[/url][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Traffic Lights? Get them spaced out evenly around the school and get them to walk on and then shout out at random the traffic light colours - Red is halt, Amber is walk, green is trot and they have to get the transitions bang on
    My RI still plays this with us in lessons now

At the end of my neice's lessons we always do scissors/half scissors/Round the world. She also has to do the stretches (touch pony's ears, hands on head etc) but as we're doing it I get faster and theres no order to it. She thinks it's brilliant and it does work wonders for balance as she's all over the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by ShireLovinGal View Post
    Traffic Lights? Get them spaced out evenly around the school and get them to walk on and then shout out at random the traffic light colours - Red is halt, Amber is walk, green is trot and they have to get the transitions bang on
    My RI still plays this with us in lessons now
    Red light/green light never gets boring, esp when it's a race to the other side of the school.

Weaving races are always fun, working on the steering and bending!

Thanks guys, traffic lights sounds fun! Even for me! The girls thought it was brilliant doing halt to trot!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][COLOR="purple"][B]Proud owner of Mr B - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3FBAmksF8M[/url][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Most of their kiddie games can be played on a pony, although some depend on how big the space is/how many ponies. So:
    - follow my leader (include changes of gait, direction etc)
    - Stuck in the mud where you have to tag the person's outstretched arm to free them and touch their pony to tag them if you're 'on'
    - North/south/east/west (last one to the correct corner is out)
    - Duck duck goose (if the ponies get on and will stand in a circle)
    - Basic tag (great fun, and the ponies get the idea then join in with their noses - hilarious!)

Handicaps for the above games for 'too good' riders could be removal of stirrups/only one hand on the reins.

Special pony games:
    - walk from one end to the other then trot back (or trot up then canter back). You can't break gait or you're out, and it's a relay race if it needs to be.
    - walk/trot/canter (you set which) up to the other end of the school, get off, put on coat/scarf/extra gloves, get back on and walk/trot/canter back (race).
    - walk/trot/canter (you set) to the other end of the school, then hop off and run back with the pony.
    - walk/trot/canter (you set) to the other end of the school, then hop off, remove saddle, carry it and run back with pony.
    - walk/trot/canter (you set) to the other end of the school, take off saddle, vault back on and ride back bareback as fast as you can without falling off.
    - put cones/hoops/ribbons/woolly hats on jump stands and divide children into teams. They have to collect as many as possible in 1 minute. Winning team has the most.
    - bending races using jump stands as bending poles

etc...

With my niece in the summer we played Simon says involving touching ears, tail, own feet, hands on head etc
    We also did bending, potato race, flag race, round the world whist being led ~ (hehe making the pony trot whilst she was facing backwards resulted in hysterical laughter ), riding bareback, chasing me round the field. There was more but I can't think what at the moment.

My RI starts every lesson with, touch your horses ears, then tail, inside hand touch inside toe, outside hand touch inside toe - even when it's a group of adults

I have never done any games on horses or ponies, sounds like fun, but think would have a problem if someone said dismount run then get back on your horse as I ride a 17'2 horse so would struggle to get back lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo2009 View Post
    I have never done any games on horses or ponies, sounds like fun, but think would have a problem if someone said dismount run then get back on your horse as I ride a 17'2 horse so would struggle to get back lol!
    You would also have a huge advantage against the kids on 12.2 ponies with extra long legs!