Thread: I cant wait to get this pony driving !!

Default I cant wait to get this pony driving !!

I am having so much fun with Harry - i really think he's going to be good in carriage and i cant wait

weve been long lining for over a month now and the past few weeks in full harness and he is such a worker. He is very responsive on the lines and is fab out and about. Weve been round the fields, up the main road and back and today we went out the back of the fields onto the bridleway, through part of the village (with big puddles and farms), onto the road and all the way back up to the farm, passing a tractor & hay trailer(empty) and cherry picker.

Quite a walk of foot LOL, but good fun and he was manerful and halted when asked, stood still while i talked to a couple of people and generally was a really good sport.On the road he stays at one pace and doesnt speed up etc, unless asked, in trot he is going nicely on a loose rein and he really is picking up the voice aids (come round / over / whoa / steady / stand).

Weve also been playing in the school with de-spooking work, although ib havent found a thing he spooks at yet ! Weaving through cones on voice aids, right angle turns, halting, walking through narrow gaps etc,

How long would you continue with the long reining before i get him pulling a tyre ?

If he's fully learnt everything so far, and fit enough, then go for it. I would tend to do 2 steps forward then 1 step back, just to make sure he has time to absorb everything, so you don't overface him.

Are you going to keep him going through the winter or give him a break then restart in the spring, like is generally done with ridden work?

I would defiantly be introducing some weight for him to pull into now he sounds more then ready for the next step.

Thanks for your thoughts guys
    I have only been working him 2-3 times a week but come new year i will be able to work him daily as Josh will be at preschool every day Plan is to get him clipped out (as he gets quite sweaty) and get working - he really does love working and the walk to the field is so slow when i turn him back out, he just wants to please !!

So i suppose he will be having a couple of weeks off over xmas then back into the swing of things much more by new year, hoping to get him in a carriage by spring.
    I just dont want to overface him as ive only had him 2 monhts, but i really think he is ready to move on a bit
    Last edited by Toffee Monster; 22-11-2011 at 20:56.