Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunt Report

Default Hunt Report

Clava and I went hunting today with the South Downs Bloodhounds. Clava was on Hattie and I was on Tess, we have a really good day, if somewhat slow in parts and rather downhill in others

The Meet was quite close to us, it only took about half ab hour to hack to. We went with our friend L, in the summer she bought a horse through BIrish, he is still a baby so her friend was riding the new boy while she nannied on her older horse.

We seemed to be waiting at the meet for a long time. Unlike the other times I have been hunting, we didn't hack to the first hunt, we went straight from the meet. For our non-fizzy horses, it meant that they didn't really get going and after a steady canter up a hill they wanted to chillax and have a walk We went through a field of cattle, followed by a field of sheep, under very strict instructions to halt and stay perfectly still if the cattle or sheep started to run. The land owners were very generous to let us hunt trough their livestock (as well as providing lovely warm sausage rolls and ginger wine ) There were some jumps on the way but we waited with the person who was closing gates so didn't jump, just caught up with the hunt.

After the first hunt there was a funny moment when a horse tried to roll and the rider dismounted at the speed of light, much to everybodies amusement. We had a lovely warm and sunny day, the going was lovely although slightly sippery in places.

The second hunt meant that we had to walk down a very stepp hill, made more exciting by the Field Master and Houndsman cantering off at the bottom while we were still on the way down. I reached the bottom before Clava and Tess cantered on, it took a few hundred yard before I could stop and wait for Clava and Hattie The second hunt was very slippery though, after riding down a very steep hillwe then had to go up the other side of the valley. We are on chalk downs, so when it is a little bit wet it can be very treacherous. Clava and I trotted a lot along the headland here but Ii think both of us were struggling to maintain that trot and not a canter This was followed but a tiny bit of stubble then a lovely set aside going up a gentle hill that we had a good blast along. There was a little bit more cantering until another downhill walk to the hounds (which happened to be back at the meet).

We seemed to wait a long time for the third hunt, and then got lost on the way The hounds went on ahead (I'm not sure why) and the Joint Master was chatting with Clava and I before she looked up and realised the horses in front of us had gone the wrong way. So we turned around and back tracked until we found the turning the hounds had taken and caught up with them.

The third hunt was a bit hairy in places, it started at a nice canter, but then went in to some slipper cow pasture where we walked, followed by a nice canter up hill and round the edge of a valley. After that was a very, very steep downhill slope. Clava and I were at the back anyway so we walked down, I started to get the HeebyJeebies when the horses in fornt of us reached the bottom and cantered off but Diane told me nicely to man up and I did We the had a nice canter along a track, well I cantered and Hattie did a stonking trot next to us. We took a short cut and had a really good gallop across some stubble. It was perfect, the horses felt fresh and the afternoon sunshine was golden and warm. We caught up with the rest of the hunt as they were hacking back the way we would have gone home anyway. We manage to squeeze a little canter in on the way home too

All in all it was a regat day, slow in some parts but fast in others. Bit's that you could do with your eyes closed and parts that gave you The Fear. Both horses we super, if somewhat strong

Tess looking intersted after I told MrClava to 'make a noise like a carrot'

Our friend L and the horse sourced by BIrish on the left. The hunt went down that hill

A wee bit steep!

Bugge r that for a game of soldiers, that hill is huge! Please tell me you walked! You look fantastic though, very jealous!

Sounds amazing (and terrifying! It always sounds terrifying - I can smell the adrenaline!)
    ... And again - so so smart, both of you! Give natives hunting a good name!

By the way I meant great not gerat or whatever I managed to type

We had a great day really, but it was definitely out of my comfort zone! the down hill bits were very steep and other parts were walking or cantering around theedge of a hill with just narrow sheep tracks as the only bit of flat footings. Hattie was not the the novice ride she was at the opening meet, nothing naughty but she did find she could take a strong hold and go faster than I wanted (I was a bit worried about slipping). We also had hoofboots on but they perormed perfectly with no problems. One day I'd like to jump, but the jumps were just a bit too big for us yet.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post
    Sounds amazing (and terrifying! It always sounds terrifying - I can smell the adrenaline!)
    Soot there were 3 very smart hogged hunting cobs out today, ht non-flooffed Tess would have made it a quartet.

Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post
    Hacking to the meet with L we joked about being the farm hands out on the cobs / work horses while they were the smart landowner types.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

Not the best video as I needed two hands on the reins today