Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: from Armchair Rider to Horse Rider...how?

Hello all,
    Well I have some very exciting news. My leaser who shares my bombproof connemara, also a novice, suggested I get on my Highland Pony and go for a road walk. My Pony, Dougal, is not the most confident little chap but with my brave mare, he feels alright. When the leaser arrived at my barn, at first I froze and stayed in the house, thinking I'll just make up an excuse. I had dressed in jodphurs since the morning as I was committed to riding today. Then I thought now or never, get up from desk, walk out there, tack up and go for a gentle plod. I did just that.
    A friend on her Halflinger pony joined us too. We rode along the river & roads, flapping tarps, made Dougal a tad nervous, but I kept him focused. We trotted. He managed one of his major spooks...when water surged out of a pipe into the ditch, he sprung forward ....(.really its a fast scoot). Well I kept my heels down, held onto the neck strap, with right hand, leaned back and the old "think of England!" phrase came to mind.:wink:
    My company said I rode it out well and I was quite pleased with myself...I daresay.
    So maybe I have broken the spell , maybe not. I shall ride the Connemera to get more confidence. You wanted to see a picture of my Highland. I haven't learned how to get photos on here yet...but here is a link of him doing a dressage test to Scottish music on Youtube. His Vaulting instructor is riding him....she has helped with all of his schooling so I owe everything to her.
    Enjoy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAtmc2gwBa8

Wow, well done, onwards and upwards from here!

That's fab news! Just take your time, stay well within your comfort zone, and enjoy riding!

Well done you!