Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stubborn or scared?

Default stubborn or scared?

hi all,
    this is my first post and wanting any tips or advise.....

I bought my first horse on 14th october, 14.2 very overweight fellpony mare. previously had lived out 24/7 with a shetland. when she arrived she was very nervous and sore on her feet. i kept her in for 4 weeks on vets advice and have slowly turned her out, first into small paddock on own where she had horses in next field then last week turned her into big field with other mares. when in she has improved alot and have free lunged her 5 mins each rein a day first in walk and now have been walking and trot with her and is responding well. when measured with a weight tape last weekend she had lost 70kg. my main problem is that she plants herself on the spot when leading and will only move forward if someone walks behind. have tried flicking with end of lead rope but she shakes her head about and not much more. she is worst when bringing in from field as she has attatched herself to another mare. she is ok to catch but wont walk away from the mare and as taken 3 of us to get her moving but when i am on my own its proving a challenge. I have tried flicking a whip behind me and will walk a bit but then stops again. considering her size she is not very food orientated so bribes arent working. the only time she walked out nicely was when said mare was lead out first and bess followed but cant do this everytime.when i free lunge and do a join up she follows me and stops lovely where ever a walk in the school. any tips would be appreciated.

Hello, Welcome to Trot online!

I have a Fell pony mare too, also called Bess. She has been known to be a bit opinionated too. I find the easiest way to get her to lead if she plants is to keep the pressure on. Don't pull, just apply a bit of pressure to the rope and keep it up until she moves towards you to release the pressure. If she pulls back, go with her but keep the same pressure on the rope until she moves in the right direction. Repeat until she walks on. She will learn fairly rapidly that it is easiest to go with it and you won't have to fight with her.

Hi and welcome.
    Not sure what to suggest re the planting. I have the opposite problem, especially in winter!!

The only thing I can think of is to try using a clicker to reward when she does take a forward step (even if you do need someone behind to encourage her to get it). Given that she is not very food orientated, and if she's overweight, treats would probably be a bad idea anyway, perhaps you could use a scratch in her favourite spot or something to reward instead?

Also, you might want to repost this in general, or ask a moderator to move it for you. That way you will likely get more views, and hopefully, more welcomes and offers of help

thanks-iv re posted in general

Quote Originally Posted by zoster View Post
    thanks-iv re posted in general
    No problem. It can be a bit tricky working out where to post things at first.
    You'll be ok when you find your way around

Clicker training would be good Zo or maybe have a look at a dually headcollar ? Or perhaps a rope halter? (Frank has both but they'd be too small for Bessy's head).

Don't forget it could also be related to sore feet too sometimes?

Clicker training sounds like it might be a good way forward. How much is she on the weigh tape now? Zoe (good name huh? ) is a 14.1 Dales so similar in build and is currently coming up at 420 on weigh tape.

732 on weight tape!! 802 when she arrived.

OMG Are you sure she is only 14.2? She does look bigger on the photos

nichola, her feet arent a prob the way she gallops around- she got chased my marley a little shetland-wish id filmed it was like benny hill!!