Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stubborn or scared?

I'm sure she is bigger than 14.2 and I'm not convinced the weight tape is right Zo....get your scales out

I am pleased she is feeling better you have done a good job. Wasn't a great start to horse ownership was it lol talk about being thrown in at the deep end

we have had 3 different reading from 3 tapes so are just sticking to the one tape.

Quote Originally Posted by pigletsmum View Post
    I'm sure she is bigger than 14.2 and I'm not convinced the weight tape is right Zo....get your scales out
    of course- u wud b right wouldnt u

now now no sibling bickering. Don't make me go into mother mode I was an evil mother just ask my offspring

I had a horse on loan who used to plant when I tried to bring her in. The best solution I found was to take a lunge line and lunge whip when I went to catch her. When she planted her feet, I lunged her there for a minute or so, then continued up the field. Next time she planted, lunged her again, then continued. She very quickly learned that it was MUCH easier to come with me than to plant, because when she planted she was made to work! With other horses who are difficult to bring in I have found that zig-zagging up the field works better than going in a straight line... don't ask me why, but it works

When a horse plants their feet for whatever reason, don't just try and make them walk forwards - the important thing is that you get them to they move their feet, but it doesn't matter which direction. If she won't walk forwards, make her move her feet sideways, or back her up, or turn her in a circle. Doesn't matter if she's not going forwards, she just needs to be moving when you ask her to move.