Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Showing: LW Hunter / Riding Horse

Question Showing: LW Hunter / Riding Horse

So, Buddy and I spent 2011 doing dressage, affiliating to BD, and doing quite a good job of it.

For 2012 I've been thinking about trying him at some showing, but one thing I cannot stand is a disorganised competition/venue. As some of the shows I've been to previously (with Grace - the mare I used to have on loan) we a bit chaotic, I wanted to try Buddy at some bigger ones.

Most of you will have seen Buddy on here from our competition reports and updates, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out, give me your opinion and what do you think of Buddy for LW hunter and riding horse?

I've never done showing properly, and so what's the difference between all the hunter type (ridden, show and working), what's required in the class, and is there some kind of qualifying scheme?

What is a riding horse?

I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has some opinion, thoughts, suggestions, and just general showing advice.

Thanks!!

Working hunter has a set of rustic fences and a ridden show.

Normal showing classes just have a ridden show.

Depending on what level you want to do depends on entry requirements.

Some Local shows/riding club shows hold qualifiers for shows the Equifest, and you could take him to county shows if he does well.

I think he's a riding horse, however, you can enter working hunter classes

Hope this helps
    [center][IMG]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt70/loveshorses/dxjrt1.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by HJ View Post
    Depending on what level you want to do depends on entry requirements.

Some Local shows/riding club shows hold qualifiers for shows the Equifest, and you could take him to county shows if he does well.

I think he's a riding horse, however, you can enter working hunter classes
    Thanks HJ.
    What do you mean by entry requirements, and how do I hit those requirements (or at least start to go towards them)?
    And...
    What do you mean by he is a riding horse, but I can enter working hunter? And not the ridden?

Sorry, I'm really not knowledgable about showing!!

He's not typey enough for Riding Horse classes in my opinion (could you post some more pics in here?)

Looks to move more hunter type from the signature piccies

Plaited, pulled & banged tail, trimmed feathers. Plain tack. pelham or double pref.

Working Hunter is a course of fences, if clear you go on to do a show which includes a good gallop! The strip off for the inhand conf part.
    Ridden Hunter 99% of the time you'll do the ridden go round with everyone & then the judge rides a set show. So make sure your stirrups are big enough for a man and your horse doesnt mind new riders
    Native pony addict!

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    He's not typey enough for Riding Horse classes in my opinion (could you post some more pics in here?)
    What does this mean though? Not typey enough...? Not chunky enough?

The Societys have standards set for the classes. A Riding Horse is a type, not just literally a horse you ride. (Trust me, you see some BAD examples at lower levels as people think it's a generic class for any ridden type horse). It's a different type to Hunter. More refined and generally very big movers with fabulous heads & bums. Yours may be more RH type but i'm too lazy to go find bigger piccies
    Native pony addict!

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    The Societys have standards set for the classes. A Riding Horse is a type, not just literally a horse you ride. (Trust me, you see some BAD examples at lower levels as people think it's a generic class for any ridden type horse). It's a different type to Hunter. More refined and generally very big movers with fabulous heads & bums. Yours may be more RH type but i'm too lazy to go find bigger piccies
    Now I get you. I'll find some photos of Buddy, but there are some here: http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/m.../Buddy%202011/ for now.

You know what, I think I may be wrong! Looks quite refined in most of those piccies
    So therefore, everything i said above still stands, but add a coloured browband. You'll still be in tweed, shirt & tie too

He may not be a big enough mover, but it'll be trial and error, depending on what level you want to get to I guess

Here's a couple of piccies of RH's:

Native pony addict!

Thanks Red.

He has videos here: www.youtube.com/sophiehoult

Can you wear a stock or should it be a tie? And if you use a Pelham, can you use roundings? We aren't at a double bridle yet...

He isn't as 'chunky' as the horses in those two photos, does that count against him?

Defo shirt and tie.

With a Pelham use double reins
    [center][IMG]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt70/loveshorses/dxjrt1.jpg[/IMG][/center]