Thread: What's the next thing to do after long reining?

Default What's the next thing to do after long reining?

Hi all, I'm feeling a real bond now with Shabby, she has realised I'm her mum! She will watch me from her stable as I busy myself getting her straw, or whateve,r just to check where I am bless her . We have got long reining with side reins off to a pretty good start and she will 'walk out' in front ok. She may decide .'ooh I'm not gonna go any further' so I say firmly 'walk on' with a flick from lunge whip or if she tries to turn round I try to use the opposite line /and or whip as a leg and 'ask' with the other hand. We then go forward again. It's good fitness for both of us coz it's up a steep hill to the end of the lane , then back down for our 'lesson', and into a walk round the sandschool, changing direction as we go. She will also go over coloured trotting poles longreined and also at a trot or canter on the lunge (which I'm not doing loads of coz I don't want to over do her joints etc at her young age, she was 3 on 1st November) Now the thing is what do I do now??? Another girl I know said 'time to get on her' !!!!! yikes!!!
    Is this real that I should start the 'getting on' process??? And what do I do first? I have been leaning over her back and gently pulling to and fro, and the other day had to climb up something and her bum was very convenient to use as a push up point!! I could have asked her to 'move over' then thought 'do or die'!! I did after of course letting her know what I was doing, and she didn't kick, just put her ears back....not nastily just like.what are you doing. She is doing brilliantly and I just ignore the odd 'donkey day' or 'oh my god everything is soo scary' !!! She is anglo-arab lol!!
    So sorry for such a long boring post but what does everyone think my next step should be??? And oooh I do sooo love her, silly old big kid that I am! (well I am in the 'mature' section lol!!)
    Thanks

My goodness, as I posted I saw my profile pic and she looks so much babyish there, she has definitly matured more.

I spent a while long reining Tess round the village so she could see some traffic when I got her.

You can start to back her if you wish, but no hurry as she still is only 3. I wouldn't do a lot of ridden work but getting on and off is the next big step.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

My girl was three in May. We continued long-reining over the summer (still need to get her out on the roads on the local estate, but she's met lots of traffic walking out in-hand and has long-reined up and down empty country lanes and farm tracks), and I sat on her in July. It's a two-pronged process from there on - continuing long-reining and a little lungeing on large circles, and a little bit of under-saddle work. So far, she is happy to walk on and stand, and we've only worked on straight lines (literally had a few short sessions under-saddle so far). My horses are wintering off at the moment, so in the spring, we'll start with her ground work again, build back up to sitting on, and then start doing "hacking" by following the track around our fields and build up from there.

I think at this stage, there's no harm in long-reining in full tack (if you're not already) and building up to sitting on her. My first sit on River was very relaxed and quiet, and she was absolutely unphased by the whole thing. I'd already been using the mounting block as a boost to my height when grooming her, and from being about two and a half I started getting her used to me leaning my arms across her back from the block. One day, I was grooming her and leaning over and had my hat on, so I started resting my leg against her and within about five minutes, slipped my leg over and was sitting on her bareback. It was only a week or so later that we did the same again in her tack. Given that your youngster has just turned three, I'd be inclined to probably just have a sit for the time being, practising getting her used to mounting and dismounting, and not worry about doing anything more under-saddle until later in the spring/summer and spend this time focussing on encountering lots of things on long-reins and in-hand. Sounds like she's coming on a treat
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

Thank you for all your replies.

Sez: it sounds very similar what you have been doing with your youngster too. I think I should get out on the road more in-hand as she hasn't seen traffic for about 2 months. I will try the getting on and off too but will wait till perhaps the summer to try her under saddle as she is still such a baby. Funny enough I remember now, holding my children while they stroke her and I have put their leg over carefully as it would be like my arm over her back and she was fine. Oh I am so proud of her I just hope it all goes well in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabby Chic View Post
    Thank you for all your replies.

Sez: it sounds very similar what you have been doing with your youngster too. I think I should get out on the road more in-hand as she hasn't seen traffic for about 2 months. I will try the getting on and off too but will wait till perhaps the summer to try her under saddle as she is still such a baby. Funny enough I remember now, holding my children while they stroke her and I have put their leg over carefully as it would be like my arm over her back and she was fine. Oh I am so proud of her I just hope it all goes well in the right direction.
    I di a lot of lying across hattie when bareback and leaning over her while she was chilled and eating until, I finally just slipped onto her, but then it was no biggy
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]