Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things to look out for when buying a new horse

Don't think that a deposit will secure your sale, I had a seller back out the evening before the vetting, even tho she text me to say "how happy she was that her pony was going to a forever home" that morning!

Just another example - I had a quick look at the dealers website that Ideal bought from.

They have a horse advertised for the guts of 10k.
    And this is just assuming that he is infact a nice horse, without any temperament or soundness issues.

They say he's an ISH, a quick search reveals he actually has no recorded breeding, so infact, he's just a horse that came from Ireland (with an Irish passport) He should be chipped.

He's a year older then stated - not a big deal, but perhaps a deterent if you were trying to look up his history.

I did look up his history, and it certainly appears as if he was homebred and only had one owner - her full details and address and phonenumber are availible on the net (everything you ever wanted to know about him all you'd have to do would be to lift the phone)
    May also be worth noting that HER records are all availible online too, and she's a very good professional breeder/rider/trainer.

He was registered to event here, but he has no points and wasn't jumping at the level they suggest (90cm was probably about the height of it, and in restricted classes) ie; if he had placings, they were like as not, against other 4/5yr olds, young/green/first timers.
    He has some points affliated jumping, 5 clear rounds at 90cm (just for a reference as to value, he has less points then my well bred mare had as 7yr old - she was 2.5keuro when horse prices were good!)
    There are several ads for him dotted around the internet, one claimed he had 25 sjai points... a blatant lie.

He was never registered with BE, as they've implied, and no record of him ever jumping 1m20 competitively. In another ad, they said he's done BD, you can register for free and find out (didn't bother)

No records of him competing in the UK at all, infact.
    The video are all taken on there own property, he may have jumped those jumps a hundred times.

He's also been MIA for 2 years, having last competed here in early 2010, at his last recorded outing, where he was withdrawn at dressage phase.

There is a sale ad for him with a slightly different name in early december of last year - he's pictured in am american gag, despite one of his other adverts claiming he is snaffle mouthed. If may be that he was sold through another dealer, or just another of there pseudonyms.

He is a stunning looking horse, a few spurios statements and exaggerations, it certainly seems as if he looks worth the money ... but in reality .... maybe not so much. Thats before you even get to a vetting/temperament/soundness.

If you spend enough time doing that sort of thing (as I did when I was looking to buy) then you not only get lots of information about the horses but you also get to learn about the network of dodgy dealers that are out there - several in the Essex area work together, moving horses around between themselves, advertising really nice horses, then when you go to see the horse it has been "sold" the day before but you are shown others - if you dare leave a deposit on a nice horse then the chances are that you will find "something" happens to the horse but of course you can use your (non refundable) deposit against another horse. All ploys to get money out of you and leave you to take the nags they can't shift otherwise for more money than they are worth. One of the dealers is actually a very good rider but rides the horses to advertise and demonstrate them as if he is a novice - to demonstrate they are suitable for a novice - most of them are not!

You could call me a dealer, I back a few ponies every year and sell them to family homes. I would call myself reputable and have 100% happy customers however I wouldn't filling a buyers questionnaire, everyone is differerent and just because it is 100% with my care/handling etc doesn't mean it will be with someone else and I wouldn't want to open myself up to a lawsuit because the buyer's situattion/handling skills are different to my own and the pony has reacted in a different way.

I will add I have swapped/brought ponies back and given people trial options in the past, if buyer and seller are both open and honest there is no reason for a sale to turn bad.

I have been known to ask buyers to get of my pony and leave my yard after about 30 seconds of riding as its been obvious pony not suitable.

well - i'd avoid...
    a horse that the owner has to catch with food
    who has scaring from bad saddles over her back
    who the owner cant get the bridle on
    who the owner refuses to ride (ok she was pregnant but she knew i was coming and could have got someone else to try!)
    who bucks like a ****** in the viewing
    who would not pass a vet
    or you could go with your heart and end up with an HRH
    yes she was a serious risk but sometimes you have to see past the bad bits - so long as the price reflects them