Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colour

Default Colour

006.JPGHi this is my 2yr old welsh cross Willow..I bought her at the end of last October. Since I've had her she seems to change colour on a weekly basis! I'm just interested and intrigued to see what colour she'll end up. she seems to go from a dark dun to almost grey at the moment..does anyone else have a similer colour horse?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jaz09; 23-02-2012 at 11:50.

The photos are actually a bit small to see clearly - it looks like she is has a dun base coat, but she may also have grey, in which case she will grey out over time and eventually turn white.

Welsh x what? Most likely buckskin, possibly to grey out (does she have goggles round her eyes?)

My lad goes sort of dun in the winter...

Then (well i duno what you would call this!) in Spring.....

Then grey in the summer...

Your horse appear to have been a dun, but he is greying out.

Part of the greying process involves both dark and light hairs growing in, (the dark ususally grows in over winter) but eventually only white hairs will grow in. You'll find your boy gets lighter and lighter every summer, until he is eventually white!

How old is he BTW?

I have a bay based grey horse.

In summer she is very light...

In winter, very dark.

Looks like, as said, a greying out buckskin to me too
    Native pony addict!

Weirdly enough Xaile is paler in the winter and darker in the summer. Each time he's started to moult I've expected him to be almost white, but he gets darker again. I'll see if I can find some photos.

March 2009

May 2009

Dec 2009

June 2010

Feb 2011

June 2011

Hmm ok, I think I may have disproved myself.... but he's really REALLY white this winter. I've not taken any photos of him as he's looking really scruffy as he's had a holiday and is still all fluffy and he's lost a bit of muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by OEH View Post
    March 2009

May 2009

Dec 2009

June 2010

Feb 2011

June 2011

Hmm ok, I think I may have disproved myself.... but he's really REALLY white this winter. I've not taken any photos of him as he's looking really scruffy as he's had a holiday and is still all fluffy and he's lost a bit of muscle.
    I mean theres a basic 'format' for how they grey horse 'greys' .... but look at all the 'types' or grey. Iron, dappled, rose, and bog standard 'grey'. Not all horses go through each phase.
    Xaile is a dappled grey for sure, and will prob continue to be so, until he has no more dark hairs growing in. A non dapple, may dapple for a season, or 2 and never again. Iron can go white very quickly. Rose can appear to be roan for years and years, and while they may look darker in the winter, their base coat may be more apparent in summer (with only white hairs masking it) giving them a totally different look.

My favourite stage is when a dark dapple's dapples start joining up and form like 'lightening lines' ... its very pretty.

There some who think that it can be dependant on whether the horse is hetero or homoxygous for grey, the base coat and other factors- out of interest do you know which Xaile is? (and I'm laughing now, because I'm still *thinking* Zahlia... and remembering my 'who is Shale?' outburst!! :-P

Vega is hetero, bay base coat - her early coats were very much 'rose' grey and she had tetrach spots in summer (but then she has tetrach lineage so why not!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rips View Post

My favourite stage is when a dark dapple's dapples start joining up and form like 'lightening lines' ... its very pretty.)
    I saw a stunning dapple about at the shows last season, it looked like snowflake obsidian, stunning. My grey youngster is a boring iron grey currently, hope he dapples.
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]