Thread: Building up a pony's back end

Default Building up a pony's back end

Wondered if anyone could advise me of some good exercises to help build up a back end?
    Harry is starting to build up nicely, his neck has come on leaps and bounds since being broken in to drive but his back end is still a little weak and doesnt match the front although he does use his back end well

I've just bought an equi ami for frankie, not tried it yet. Can you do hill work, schooling over raised poles?

Aah yes hillwork, there are lots of hills of differing gradients around the new yard so i'd better get on with some hillwork

I was going to suggest hill work too! I don't think you can beat it really

We don't have any proper hills round us unfortunately
    If I had nothing but I still had my horse and my Teddy, I'd still have everything I ever needed.

Indy.

another one for hill work! in walk too... slowly! so they really get there muscles working... worked wonders for Phoebes back end last year!

You can have some of our hills if you like - you can't navigate Hastings without hitting a hill Lots of transitions should be good too
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/JuniperZ/Dunkery%20Hoopoe/Hoopysignature.jpg

Transitions and hill work, and also raised trotting poles are very good too. Making sure that for all of these he's really pushing through from his back end.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Nice steep hills, in walk

Nottingham (Uni)/Llandrindod Wells (Home)

Hillwork, hillwork and more hillwork - both up and down. If you can find a good grassy, non slippy hill to trot or canter down and get his hind end really under him I found that really helpful.
    Whenever you feel like giving up, think of all the people who would love to see you fail.

lol, i dont fancy cantering downhill in a carriage, however we did trot downhill on saturday and he worked lovely. we have plenty of hills around here so i will make sure he walks up and down them instead of powering up in trot

He really does use his back end when being driven so i guess its just a case of keeping it up and working on the hills