Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get confidence XC?

Default How to get confidence XC?

Struggle with confidence XC

Am currently happy jumping 3ft consistently as a showjump...give me a solid XC jump and I wobble at 2ft3

Any tips? Want to try a 2ft6 ode in april, hoping to go schooling to the same venue in march and force myself to jump bigger things....

I have the opposite problem

Happy as larry XC, serious wobbles over SJ. Yours is a far more rational fear than mine!

My advice is start small, really small and only do small until you are no longer thinking about them at all, then gradually move up the height.

After putting it off for about 2 years I went and did 60cm clear round SJ last weekend and I survived with 2 clears and even I thought they were small, but it was just what I needed to help the wobbles. Next time I am doing 65cm clear round and 65cm class. Aim is to hit 75cm by end of the summer but I'm not rushing in it, slowly slowly

Couple of tips I use is

Watch someone else do the jump, someone who is on a quite steady horse, they make it look easy and then I dont worry so much.

Imagine the jump is just a show jump (wings and a bar) and look ahead not at the jump

Also as ACW said keep the jumps small until your ready to move up.

Will be watching this thread myself though as Im a wosse at XC I think its the speed as well as the jumps

Gimme a big sj and I'm like agggghhhhh

XC no issue haahaa!!

Ermm can you make some jumps a sj top.... so get some wings and put a pole across top then do it without

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

Quote Originally Posted by shoniedaspony View Post
    Struggle with confidence XC

Am currently happy jumping 3ft consistently as a showjump...give me a solid XC jump and I wobble at 2ft3

Any tips? Want to try a 2ft6 ode in april, hoping to go schooling to the same venue in march and force myself to jump bigger things....
    Where is the ODE?

ODE is at Elmwood in Bampton. There is a 2ft and a 2ft3 but I feel like I want to move up a gear.

elmwoodevents.co.uk

I am struggling as well so am following this with interest.

Elmwood is lovely, I did the 2'3 last year and was 5th after the stressage and SJing - then I fell in the ditch and knocked myself senseless.

Thankfully I am taking my sister and her friend up there for the 2'6, so will be doing the 2'3 again due to no space in the lorry.

However, I have a plan to deal with my worries, it commenced this week, so whether it will work or not I have no idea!

I am having completely back to basics lessons on all things position in a jump saddle, the theory being if I feel utterly and 100% secure in the saddle and iron out all the silly niggles that I have developed I will be more confident riding at solid fences.

I am going XC schooling with a very nervous horse, but a great rider. I will have to be the lead and be brave for her horse, but she'll be very good at telling me what I am doing wrong!

I am going to be busy making SJ's as scary as possible for pony, in an enviroment I am happy to ride a fence and attack it, so if he has a wibble at a XC fence we'll have trained in the correct response for both of us.

I am going to have a 1-1 lesson after a month of the above with someone who doesn't know me at all on a XC course, to see how we've got on, rinse and repeat!

And I am going to stick to little stuff until we are both confident.

The last HT I did we were great over the 1st few fences, then we compeltely ran out of steam, pony was nappy back to the start and I was limp with nerves after being determined not to be eliminated at the 1st fence. I am determined to enjoy it this year and if that means we don't do above 2' I don't care!
    Kat

Small Horse - big heart, big personality!

Following this too, as have same problem! 2ft9 show jumps are fine, but our local course goes from 70cms then 85cms, have done 2ft6 elsewhere but really need to be able to do 85cms at local club.

Seems apart from acw, we are all a bit nervous It's much harder to practice than SJ I guess because you tend to have to hire somewhere, rather than many yards having SJ jumps...

Its a bit late now but i found the best way to get my confidence up over xc fences (i used to SJ and hated XC) was to go hunting. Our local RC organises Mock hunts over our farm where there is a range of xc fences of all heights.

They have a beginners one on 18th March and i think it is quite local to you (woldingham, near caterham in surrey)