Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get confidence XC?

Quote Originally Posted by *cj* View Post
    Its a bit late now but i found the best way to get my confidence up over xc fences (i used to SJ and hated XC) was to go hunting. Our local RC organises Mock hunts over our farm where there is a range of xc fences of all heights.

They have a beginners one on 18th March and i think it is quite local to you (woldingham, near caterham in surrey)
    That was my plan, but I bailed as I was meant to go when it was very icy I must update my location, as I'm now living in Oxford But thankyou for the thought!

No problem Maybe you could find some local to you now??

It really did me the world of good

I would have a go at doing the class you're comfortable with in competition, but when you go schooling try going up a gear. I'm a firm believer you should train a the next level so competing is easy and you don't need to worry. Once you are comfortable, train higher and then move competition up.

I'll jump 1.05m SJ at home, but no more than 95cm at competitions, although this year I plan to increase that...

XC is something you must be confident with, and don't go flat out to the jump, get a course with good stretches in it, as well as a handful of fences close together. This was you can practice galloping and bringing back to SJ canter for the fences, or galloping and bringing back enough for a single fence.