Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indoor Trec competition from the weekend *video*

Quote Originally Posted by joosie View Post
    She is great at the canter work isn't she! (or is it harder than it looks?)
    The short answer is - I never thought she would be so good at something where the emphasis is on CONTROL

Apparently, put an obstacle in her way, and she's yours! ( I do have a blooper on film though!)

She just seems to be naturally just good at it not much imput on my part there. I tell her where to go, sit light and she finds a leg somewhere I do need to work on some things for the sake of consistancy. I was afraid that once she got the 'jist' of it, she would try and take matters into our her own hands ... but look at her listening indicator ears I love it!

Halt to canter, reinback to canter, and a good slow canter, changes, are essential. Especially since the obstacles can be in any order... and they usually try to make them difficult with the order (shows control)

The first time I presented her with a canter corrider, she did perfect 2 time changes! Totally unexpected! (and there's no way I could do that in a dressage test!!)
    The only place she is taking this from is speed round SJ I guess!!!

I always choose the canter options if possible, as she likes the higher octane stuff and keeps her interested.

Our canter corrider wasn't as good as it looks this time, she didn't change and it was stuffy enough, but she did it. Our one in the indoor video was much better, much wider loops, no fear of hitting those poles, and a nice rhythm. But then, each have there own difficulties ... the one in the indoor freaked me out as it looked so tight, and just getting into it was hard. On grass, you have the ground conditions to deal with.

The shamrocks (the flag things I'm circling around) is like a barrell racing pattern. Except its not judged on speed. Its a gait obstacle, if you break you get '0', so canter is a real risk, or if your circles go astray, or are more like triangles, too large, or too small, or hit or miss the markers etc

It was a new obstacle for us and I don't think anyone did it in canter

So the aim is, to keep the same canter, focus on the bend and the change and the rhythm, and also judge your circles correctly to give the horse a chance.

I got full marks, but as you can see, she struggle a little around the last bend, and very nearly broke... the judge said - I can keep my circles a little bit larger in future and it should be perfect (less winging it!!)

If you look at the ground as I'm going round, you can see the hoofprints - some much closer!!! Also, how hard the ground was, hard ground and short grass ... I would never have believed I would have to stud up for Trec! But I will for the Nationals.

I was a bit lost Loopy! There is no set 'track' I suppose, do the obstacles in the right order, and go through all the cones ... I did need some directing! (my excuse was, I was stewarding all morning and didn't get to walk the course )

I'd just like to be able to ride in a comp!

Maybe at the Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by BIrish View Post
    I'd just like to be able to ride in a comp!

Maybe at the Nationals.

Will there not be all the leinster crowd at the Nationals? Jack can come and help, but I know he's underage and can't steward.

The bloopers...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Oj6...=youtube_gdata

'0' for the refusal at the bridge, and running across it!
    '0' for the 'immobility' ... I forgot to stay 'stand' she did it the second round.

The step up was just stupidity on my part, she'd done it in round 1, in walk, and got full points, and I decided to up a gear, even though its not worth anymore, and off the otherside she went!