Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What IS a 'British' Warmblood?

Default What IS a 'British' Warmblood?

I've been doing a lot of browsing on Horsemart, HHO and the like, and find myself completely confused.
    Can anyone tell me what actually makes a British Warmblood?

I know Holsteiner/Hanoverian/Trakehner/Oldenburg = German Warmblood, KWPN = Dutch Warmblood etc. And all these seemingly originate from the country they're named after. However when I've looked at British Warmbloods they all seem to have European bloodlines, or any other general mix, and don't actually have any real breed characteristics that all BWBs have in common.

Surely a British Warmblood would be a Thoroughbred crossed with some sort of native breed? And on that ground, wouldn't that make Tia (cob x TB) eligible to be a British Warmblood?

I know this is a confusing post but can anyone clear this up? I am stuck
    ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Well Scully has a Dutch Warmblood Sire and a TB/Shire/Arab Dam so I suppose she is an Essex Warmblood, she was born in Clacton!

we have a horse at work that we joke is a " pure bred mackem warmblood" as he is a shire / clyde /shetland thingy lol

British warmblood would be a CBxTB wouldn't it? Actually, a CB is a warmblood, so a CBxTB would be a British Sporthorse.

I have wondered this too Yasmin! I have been assuming that any warmblood type that was bred in Britain could potentially be registered as a British Warmblood. Personally I think it's just another way of making your crossbred all-rounder sound more sophisticated than he is, but each to their own

I agree Joosie Only other thing I can think of it a European warmblood but bred over here?? Sounds a bit like Welsh Sports Horses (Welsh x TB) - "breed" name was invented but not much else has happened!

Anything registered with the WBS - a horse with at least 50% warmblood in its breeding, that is registered or born to a graded/registered horse.

http://www.bwbs.co.uk/registration-passports.php

Is you cob Tia eligible? I dunno, read the rules and find out (if the only breeding she has recorded is thoroughbred, then its unlikely, unless he's a WBS graded TB)
    Even if she is eligible, the right breeding etc ... she isn't a British Warmblood unless you get her registered.

They don't even have to be born in Britain.

They also have some funny rules ... like; no 'albino' ... cremello stallions can be graded ... yet they have graded palmino stallions (who could produce a cremello foal!)

my vet recons my horse is a "warmblood sports horse"

shes warmblood x cob ( we think!) can see it in her face but thats about it!

Quote Originally Posted by b_22 View Post
    my vet recons my horse is a "warmblood sports horse"

shes warmblood x cob ( we think!) can see it in her face but thats about it!
    That's a good one.

My pony is a purebred Heinz 57

Quote Originally Posted by hepsibah View Post
    British warmblood would be a CBxTB wouldn't it? Actually, a CB is a warmblood, so a CBxTB would be a British Sporthorse.
    CB x TB is a Cleveland Bay Sporthorse or part bred Cleveland Bay

I am rather anal about all things Clevie