Thread: A change was needed...

Default A change was needed...

So, with some muscle injuries in my back at the start of the year, Buddy wasn't in work for most of Jan, and well into Feb. During which, the horses were brought in to allow the fields to rest. I was lunging, and turning out into a smaller outdoor sand school, but nothing is as good as the field itself.

They went back out on the Friday just gone!

Buddy has been ridiculously awkward to school since I got back on, he is OK in walk and canter, and perfectly fine on a hack - very forward and spooky! But in trot...gosh, what a frustrating game he played. You'd be trotting round perfectly nicely, and then just STOP. He would walk on and canter, and trot again, but would stop in the trot again.

Judging by the way he cavorted himself around the outdoor "turnout" and the bucks, leaps, kicks, stamps, he was putting in, along with how well he was hacking, and how he looked, I knew there was nothing 'wrong' with him.

In fact he was just stale.

We went SJing yesterday, which I was not really fussed for; he wasn't enthusiastic in a school and I didn't want to go to have him behave like that.

So at 11am yesterday, I decided I was going to BSJA Club classes. We hacked up, its about 40mins away trotting, and got there, and it was HEAVING!! I said to OH just enter for whatever the next one up from this is, as long as no less than 80cm. It was the 80cm he entered me for (the wait for the 90cm would have just been too long).

I got off to allow him to rest, then warmed him up while the last 5 or 6 went in the 70cm + jump off. Course changed, so walked that, and had managed to declare 3rd. So jumped back on and gave him a quick jump.

He was fab, schooled nicely in the warm up, jumping nicely, forward, not strong, was being very good. And it was our turn.

We jumped clear, which was just fab, and although it wasn't the prettiest (he kept landed correct front lead, but dis-united), it worked, and the rhythm was good. We were through to the jump off. We were drawn 3rd in that, and thanks to someone pushing in front of me as I went for a warm up fence, falling off and knocking it down, I didn't get a chance to get that rhythm back. Plus I sat there like a passenger for the first two - we knocked those down - my fault.

We stopped (well, walked), walk - canter, nice and bouncey, got a good seat, and rhythm, and cleared the final 4. I knew after knocking them, with clear and fast rounds already gone, I'd rather get this right, than be placed.

Hacked home and he was just perfect. A really good boy. It was the first time he had hack all that way on his own too, and is on a very busy and fast road (which no one slows down at), so that in itself was a great achievement.

Overall, a great day's adventure, worth every penny, and every second. Plus it got Buddy seeing something else! And brought my enthusiasm back!

Sounds like just what you both needed - well done!

Thanks Chris! After Thursday's fall out, I was not fussed for going AT ALL. But thanks for the hack on Saturday I felt much better, and was actually more concerned about hacking up the road to get there and back than anything. As I say THAT was an achievement.
    But I am pleased I stuck to my guns in that there was nothing wrong with him, he was just being awkward because he was so bored.
    You're definitely right, gave us both what we needed

It does sound as though it was just what you needed. Fingers crossed he will perk up in the school again now.

Me too!
    I'm still not really going to arena school him for about another week, or until I can go somewhere else maybe. He is easy enough to get going well with no training, and as I say if I go BD I'll just be doing Novice tests so not need to teach.
    Want to do lots of long hacks for fitness really, with a bit of jumping maybe.

Sounds like a plan, plus you can school on a hack and he would never notice lol!!

Sounds like a thoughly good day out, well done, its good to have some spice of life back from both of you

I didn't realise that there was a photographer at the event until OH said last night.

Here's the pro-photos:
    http://www.photoenduro.com/p20690804/h7290c5e#h1ae3b469
    Buddy is 27 - 51 for the round, and then 430 - 434 for the jump off (but I don't like those as much)