Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our first jumping comp!

Default Our first jumping comp!

Iv been very frustrated with our progress, even though friends have said the time of the year has been against us and time out for lameness, illness etc.

We have had about 5 jump lessons, and weekly flat work lesson, and took him to a dressage test when I first got him, but I decided to take enough was enough reading or not we were going jumping, its was minimus jumping so should of been more on the easy side, which it was

Luckily for me Dani Girl (special thanks for your help, I dont think I would of gone through with it if she wasnt there ) came to support me, she got me moving in the warm up arena, made me trot a couple of crosses which I done badly, then shouted at me to canter which made the jumping much better

After I done the cross a few time, they made me do a straight, probably only at 2ft 3" then they put up a spread

Shock horror I have never jumped a spread with him before, I was scared , two little girls around 12 years old told me I had better jump it as the jumps in the arena where much bigger than that!! Oh sugar me thought better get over it, jumped it nicely about three times and felt very happy.

Went to walk the 2ft 3 course, and the jumps were much smaller than the spread they had got me to jump, all three of them were giggling, as they knew they had wound me up!!
    I knew that the 2ft 3 was too small for Jack but I needed a warm up round
    It wasnt bad but then it wasnt good, I managed to ride him round the course but he took no notice of the jumps, cat lept some, knock some down but on a good note, first time me and him jumped a whole course and in an indoor school so all abit tight for a big horse.

Dani girl then had to leave me, and I walked the course for the 2ft 6".
    Wow they looked like they had grown so much!!!! how can 3 inches seem huge lol, mind you they had put some spreads in as well and a filler.
    Again I started to get worried but I just thought hey ho, jump a couple if I dont like it I will retire.

Much to my happiness Jack jumped lovely, looking at the pictures my postion needs alot of work, any of the jumps that scared me I thought just kick

We never got placed as I was enjoying it so much I counted 5A and 5B as 5 and 6, then went looking for jump 7 that I knew was on the diagonal which meant elimantion silly me.....another lesson learned.

Something that Dani noticed is that when I have confidence I ride well ( well well enough lol) but when I worried, I can flap for England

Heres a couple of pics, dont mind if you want to say how bad my position is, I can totally agree.

Well done EL! Now you've took him out it won't be as daunting next time! I've missed a jump before too, came out thinking i'd got a clear round rosette but had missed one out!

Well Done Thats great for your first time out

He looks great! Well done for doing it even if you are nervous, I dont have the confidence to take my horse around a 2ft6 course at the moment! You'll be flying around soon

Well done

Well done EL. I can appreciate how a first comp must be so daunting...sounds like you did very well & Jack was a good boy! So, when's the next?

Thanks folks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    Well done EL. I can appreciate how a first comp must be so daunting...sounds like you did very well & Jack was a good boy! So, when's the next?
    awwwwwww I cant keep a secret lol novice dressage on Sunday

Novice!?! Excellent, def need pics of that!

Good luck x

Well done EL.. hope one day i can get out and do similar things to you, you should be very proud!!

Hoilday cottage in Teesdale- www.thecote.co.uk

Well done you and Jack, that's super! If me and Libs could do a 2ft6 SJ round i'll be over the moon. I'm determined to do it by the end of summer though