Thread: Jumping saddle necessary?

Default Jumping saddle necessary?

When I bought Panda, she came with a Martin Wilkinson (Ideal) VSD saddle. This year we've progressed to 85cms (2ft9) show jumping and trying to up the height for fixed fences too. I had some XC training on Friday and we were jumping up to 80cms, there was a fence that was about 75cms with a drop the other side - felt like we were flying through the air for ages! Am I right in thinking I might have felt more secure in a saddle designed more for jumping in? Should I look into getting one, would it be beneficial don't want to get one if only really a benefit if jumping well over 3ft - not going to be going that high!

I never thought they were necessary as I was only jumping around 3ft but I had problems with my saddle last year and ended up buying a cheapie dressage saddle which I loved and couldn't believe the difference in our flat work, so that got me thinking about if I would benefit as much from getting rid on my vsd and buying a jumping saddle instead, which I did and have to say it really does help with my horse and his habit of throwing in massive leaps and trying to jump me off!

Perhaps ask around if anyone has one you could ride in and or get a saddler out and have a ride in some different types and see if you feel you would benefit

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea, my pony apparently 'has a hell of a ping'

Well, they were invented for a reason

I started jumping again after a long break last year and had no issues jumping in my WOW vsd until my RI made me get off and put her close contact saddle on and what a difference! I was probably jumping 70/80cm and felt comfortable moving up to 1mtr immediately as it really helped my position.

Looks like I'd better start saving - or just raid my ISA! Lol

any not too expensive recomendations, has to fit a an arabxcob 13.3 pony - that'll be my next problem!

I'm currently on the hunt for a jumping saddle for Harry, we went to a saddlery on Saturday and the woman said that I wouldn't need a 'proper' jumping saddle until I started jumping bigger tracks (bearing in mind that we are currently competing over 90cm-1m courses) and that I should be fine eventing at Intro level with my current GP.

I bought an Albion K2 for Major, it makes a big difference i'm much more secure in it. But he's very sharp so it makes a big difference for me! But then the knee rolls on the K2 are especially big!

I have a flat panelled saddle for my every day - it's officially a GP, but very VSD-like as cob model ... jumped in it, all happy ...
    Then got a more normal cut GP with more forward cut and WOW it's alerady different. Now I dream of a jumping saddle!