Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping small cross poles etc

Default Jumping small cross poles etc

I have recently started jumping, somehting I didn't think Iw ould manage for quite a while yet!! The only problem I seem to be having is that if I put up a jump smaller than about 1'6 she won't jump it! She will either walk through it, try to run out or just step over it! Ideally I would like to be able to get her jumping smaller jumps as I'd like to one day take her to a clear round starting on the bottom hole.

I have taken her over 1'6 & 1'9 straight bar jumps and she jumps these nicely. So should I just assume that we should start at this sort of height or can I get her to jump the smaller ones properly?

I'd be inclined to start at 1ft6 if she'll jump that - its still small enough to pop round at shows etc without the height having to be an issue, and IME jumping anything much smaller than that is rarely any help in terms of your position as if you do get a jump its normally quite messy as the horse can't work out whether to jump or not!
    The time you could spend trying to get her to jump a smaller fence could be spent working on your position etc over a slightly bigger one that you're jumping already

PS we need pics

Many horses won't properly jump something that isn't big enough to BE a jump! Personally I think that when it comes to showjumping anything smaller that 2ft (60cm) is hardly worth doing - 2ft really isn't a jump for your average horse - that being said I do understand why people might want to start smaller, for confidence if nothing else, so I reckon since you're happy doing 1'6''/1'9'' there is no need to go smaller. Your average Shetland can jump 1'6'' with very little effort

My boys wont jump small either, being hairy feathered cobs just plough through. Putting them up makes them lift their feet. Now a xc/solid is different as they know it will hurt/wont fall down as easily - maybe you could try that?

Cleo will jump a fence no matter what height

see

But, (this is a bit rich coming from me) I don't see the point in jumping something that big, unless you have a tiny kid riding a pony who is likely to pop nicely or step over it (which is what we do for the kids in lessons )

I always knew this but only started accepting that jumping bigger jumps is much more comfortable and easier, with smaller jumps I tend to go into a jumping position and flop about everywhere when she just steps over it at least I know jumping bigger that I'm not folding too much for the height of the fence

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle toes View Post
    My boys wont jump small either, being hairy feathered cobs just plough through. Putting them up makes them lift their feet. Now a xc/solid is different as they know it will hurt/wont fall down as easily - maybe you could try that?
    Ah she is also a hairy feathered coblet and likes to walk through the small jumps, but will sometimes jump a pole on the floor! Strange pony. If we hack out and jump logs etc she will happily jump properly over something that is about 6 inches off the floor.

Ok I will concentrate on working on 1'6 jumps and go from there. I know she can do it, my old sharer used to jump her 2'6 and I've free schooled her over 3' from trot! I will try to get some pictures but I promise they won't look great lol

Quote Originally Posted by lala1984 View Post
    Ah she is also a hairy feathered coblet and likes to walk through the small jumps, but will sometimes jump a pole on the floor! Strange pony. If we hack out and jump logs etc she will happily jump properly over something that is about 6 inches off the floor.

Ok I will concentrate on working on 1'6 jumps and go from there. I know she can do it, my old sharer used to jump her 2'6 and I've free schooled her over 3' from trot! I will try to get some pictures but I promise they won't look great lol
    And why will these pics not look great?! You looked BRILLIANT last week, I will bring my proper camera up and get some vids etc. this week now it's light at night

Well jumping last noght didn't quite go to plan, nothing bad happened as such but with two other horses in the school also jumping and someone starting the jumps at 1'9 then after jumping them twice practically demanding they went up I gave up and took her for a solo hack. I knew if I stayed in the school I would only end up losing confidence and then not wanting to jump again soon, so I made the sensible decision and took her out for out first ever solo canter. As expected she was an angel, I do love my little coblet and to think I almost discounted going to buy her as she is only 5!

Doeyl we will have to wait for the week after as she's having her back done on Tuesday so will get a few days off

I remember having a confidence crisis a few years back (I think I'd literally just fallen off Gem jumping) and had an oxer up in the school and wanted to lead Gem over it. I stepped through it to get over it rather than jumping it and wasting energy () and Gem followed my footfalls and stepped through too!!! It's not just hairy cobs who won't always be exuberant (although Gem usually is!)

This pic was a couple of years ago now, just as I was getting over my confidence crisis

(that was the 35cm class(!) so entered the 45cm too)
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Snip/sig.png[/IMG]

[COLOR=Magenta]A [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]horse [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]gallops [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]with [/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]his [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]lungs,[/COLOR] [COLOR=Magenta]perseveres [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]his [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]heart,[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]and [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]wins [/COLOR][COLOR=Magenta]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]his [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]character.[/COLOR]

Thanks PL88 this make me feel more relaxed about not wanting to push things too soon. It's not exactly that I have lost my confidence jumping its more that I have only ever jumped 3 times now lol. I'm one that takes a while to get any confidence doing something new and I know with me it can all be lost far too easily so I just take myself out of situations I'm not ready for. It doesn't really help that I'm trying to learn to jump on a pony that's still learning too, but I'm determined we will get there together