Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross country lesson with CER and Peaches (pics)

Default Cross country lesson with CER and Peaches (pics)

Today CER played bad cop (as usual) and Peaches played good cop (again, pretty much as usual!). I went to Lyneham Heath EC and hired the XC course to have a play and try and get my confidence up. I've been XC schooling once, done one hunter trial, and one ODE all last year and apart from that have zero experience.

Getting my confidence up consisted of me spying a jump at a distance, and suggesting I jump it, walking closer, then bottling it completely. And then having a go at myself for bottling it! However as the day progressed I did get a little better and we did jump some more challenging fences, with a few wobbles along the way. CER told me to SIT UP AND KICK, and Peaches very nicely told me to stop being so hard on myself and just enjoy it.

Feel free to offer gentle CC- I'm well aware that I ride like a penguin, or a chicken, or a complete numpty depending on how terrified I am of the jump and how ridiculously the pony decides to jump it.

There was good:

I have a big fear of anything solid looking, so was glad to do these near the end before we finished off.

Clearly I'm odd- I really like skinnies

And Bril loves drops!

New thing: Jumping when IN water

This is when I was getting braver towards the end- there is a slight drop on the side the photo was taken from.

Bad ( well at least not so good):
    This was the 2nd jump I attempted on the course. He clearly wasn't yet in the 'zone' as he spooked at it from 10 strides out and shot sideways away from it, and I couldn't get him back on line so had to circle. Re-presented and he flew...

I did the drop first, completely slipped reins, and then had fun getting them back and up the step a few strides later! Nightmare!

Our 2nd stop of the day - last minute he spotted the ditch and stopped, nearly falling into it. Much more careful with it after that!!

I approached this jump, and I 100% bottled it. Normally I get scared and just sit there, but I had a moment of panic and did the worst thing and just yanked him left and pulled out about 2 strides out. Trooper that Bril is, he did as asked, and then waited while I had a few minutes to beat myself up about it and then try again.
    2nd time lucky:

Ugly:

There were a few moments where I wanted to throttle him- he gets super over-excited at times and then just goes backwards/sideways/spins and mini rears. There was a lot of sideways at speed when I was trying to ask for canter, and many occasions when all legs went different ways and he ended up half cantering, or disunited, or doing gawd knows what!!! He did settle eventually though and it wasn't anything too hideous (although I think reinforces to CER that she doesn't want to ride him!

This series of pics is ok...until the end! There were two tyre jumps, at a bounce distance. CER strode it out for me, and we though Bril might manage to get a stride in it as he is only an ickle pony. I jumped both parts independently, and then did them as a combination.....

Oops...

And then I had a temporary moment of insanity....

Proud of the ickle one. He was really flying, he does love XC and just gets braver every time. I think I got braver today, I'm always a bit wobbly when I start and with new jumps but he is very good mostly. Most importantly I did have fun, and as ever am thankful to the girls for coming with me and supporting

Well done!!! Love Peaches looking quite the instructor at the side in one of the pics

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Wow, you two look great, super pics. What an honest lad he is and a great jump on him too.

Absolutely brilliant! I think it is all about the right balance of core strength and relaxation -- working on both would help you!
    But really, you don't need much "help", just some more mileage, cause you look great and practise makes perfect!

He looks fantastic, big jumps there too!

You look great, well done!

I noticed her too Min, very professional looking there Peaches

Brill looks amazing, some huge scary jumps, you did well!

P.S. I'm stealing Peaches for when I need some XC help
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Snip/sig.png[/IMG]

[COLOR=Magenta]A [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]horse [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]gallops [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]with [/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]his [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]lungs,[/COLOR] [COLOR=Magenta]perseveres [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]his [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]heart,[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]and [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]wins [/COLOR][COLOR=Magenta]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]his [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]character.[/COLOR]

You both look great!! Well done, I wouldn't of done half those jumps!

Fantastic, well done!!! Those jumps look huge and you both look brilliant
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

Wow there are some big jumps in there! From your introduction I was expecting little jumps!

I think you just need to want to jump the bigger jumps - which clearly you do! The more you do the less scary it will be!

(ETA and I wouldn't jump some of those jumps! I'm still at the wanting to do them but not quite worked up the courage stage!)