Thread: Is it illegal to watch cctv monitor if you are driver ?

Default Is it illegal to watch cctv monitor if you are driver ?

I want to fit a cctv into my trailer as I cant see my horse from my vehicle. OH though reckons it is illegal for the driver to be able to watch/see the monitor whilst you are driving. I will be always travelling alone so won't have a passenger who can watch screen for me. Anyone out there who travel alone and watch their horse on a monitor ? Thanks......

we have one in the wagon and sometimes only the driver is in the front

Ive read that it is, but I havent seen it anywhere official (but I havent looked, I think I will google it now)
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

[CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

As far as I know the same law that applies to DVD players/screens comes into play here.
    Pie they are wired to only be playable when handbrake is on a d car is parked. Altough it is easily changed and commonly happens
    I Avnet read the legislation in a while but I think it I'll apply in the same way.
    I think the punishment is 3 penalty point and a fine. :/

It is 100% illegal for the driver to have an active CCTV viewscreen within their view from the normal driving position

The exception is for reversing CCTV which are activated when in reverse gear

The driver leaves themselves open to a conviction of driving without due care and attention which is 6 points and a fine

I cannot TELL anyone what to do so each driver has to determine if its worth the risk

Thanks for the replies. After further research have found that what ROG has posted is fact.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    Thanks for the replies. After further research have found that what ROG has posted is fact.....
    To be honest, I have a friend whose knowledge cannot be faulted - even by a Judge ( or Judges) !!

Itís not illegal to have a CCTV on display to the driver.

It depends on what is being displayed and when and where. Itís about intention; if your intention is to watch East Enders then your in trouble, if your intention is to inform the driver then itís not necessary illegal just because itís CCTV.

On my truck I have three CCTVs two mounted on the dash and one mounted in the living.
    VOSA asked me to remove the CCTV mounted on the top of the dash board as it was in view of the windscreen. I mounted it below the top line of the dash board along side my other CCTV and they were happy with that. I can understand the logic not to obstruct the view but it was pointless on a truck with a massive wind screen. Rules are rules so I remounted the CCTV to comply. I found VOSA to be very helpfully and informative.

The active CCTVs in full view of driver are:-

One displays information to assist driver to reach destination

Two informs driver of state of the vehicle and load distribution. It switches to location of vehicle and the road on which it is located.

Rules are rules and you need to comply, grey areas always exist and allow intention. Itís not all black and white as circumstances and technology change.

In principal itís illegal to watch a monitor. However, exceptions exist.

I heard similar, depends on the reason why it is there. I have one in my cab that flicks between inside the horse area and reversing camera. Alexanders said that it had to be mounted to the roof of away from the windscreen to keep a clear view (I was asking for built in sat nav & phone).

However, it is illegal to be fiddling with it when driving.