Thread: flailing legs help!

Default flailing legs help!

anybody out there got any suggestions on how to keep your lower legs secure and not flapping flailing everywhere when you ride?
    For background i should probably explain i have Fibro and Psoriatic arthritis and my hip joints are slightly twisted, essentially my muscles have got gradually weaker, im doing as much as i can to build my strength back up at the moment. My main issues in the saddle are my toes do the penguin imitation, but this can't be changed so i can live with that, but when i trot i tend to lose control of my lower legs and the fly all over the place!!
    Luckily Elmo is fully used to it and he works around my disabilities as thats how i'm training him, but i'm starting to get more and more frustrated and upset with myself about it.......
    Im not sure there's really anything that can be done, but helpful / constructive suggestions would be very greatfully received!

Just getting really cross with myself each time i ride because i look and ride so much worse than i know i am capable of (I.e before i got ill!)

thank you if you managed to read this far!! xx

I have only just seen this. When I was teaching I had a fantastic young girl with Cerebral palsy come for lessons. She had no strengh in her right leg and little control over it so it would do its own thing and fly all over the place I used a small strap with very strong velco on and fastened it to the girth and through the stirrup. it stopped all the leg movement but was safe if the horse was naughty and would release.

thats a brilliant and safe idea! thank you! x

Quote Originally Posted by psychopony View Post
    thats a brilliant and safe idea! thank you! x
    Your welcome. Thats what this forum is about.

Can't believe I only just saw this - Spot has suggested exactly what I was going to!

If you want to "try before you buy" baling twine does the job for experimental purposes ^_^

xxx
    THE EQUINE INFORMATION EXCHANGE Equine information, not speculation.

You can buy specially made ones too, but the name escapes me!
    Native pony addict!