Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What age would you back a horse?

Default What age would you back a horse?

Due to some goings on around my yard at the moment, what age would you say you would back a horse and continue to ride it this summer?

Thank You!

No earlier than three, older if immature .
    Native pony addict!

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing-Inferno View Post
    Due to some goings on around my yard at the moment, what age would you say you would back a horse and continue to ride it this summer?

Thank You!
    Some people worry me!!

well in my extensive experience of 1 lol - lilly was lightly backed at about 3yrs - hacked a bit & then started more grown up work at rising 4 - seems to be working out ok
    my new fiction blog -feel free to share/critique/laugh like a drain at

http://rubiesandduels.wordpress.com/

3 1/2 +
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

belle is 4 this may and she has just been lightly backed and thats it, not working or anything, i am not rushing her as she is immature

Depends on the horse but definitely not before 3. Possibly back in the summer of 3 years old and just lightly hack, then turn away over winter and bring back into work the spring of their 4th year, again taking it very slowly. I believe that all the bones haven't fused until the age of 7 or so?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/JuniperZ/Dunkery%20Hoopoe/Hoopysignature.jpg

For me, would be happy to do the literal backing (having a rider sit on top) at any point in their 3rd year, but personally wouldn't start bringing them on until the 2nd half of that year. Then progressing slowly giving the horse time to adapt physically AND mentally to the requirements of ridden work.
    Last edited by joosie; 16-04-2012 at 22:11.

I'd aim for backing at three (getting them walking/trotting/cantering, hacking out, seeing a few poles on the floor + possibly a small jump) in the summer of them being three, turn away for a bit over the winter then start the 'proper' work as a four year old. It would all depend on the aims of the horse and the type, maturity etc though!

My plan with rillo (although will change depending on how mature she is etc) is to back her the spring she turns 3, do a bit of light hacking/steering/stop/start etc over summer,then turn her away until the spring she turns 4 and go from there