Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What age would you back a horse?

lots of ground work and possibly wearing of a light weigh saddle at 3, and on back (if mature enough) when 4 and no earlier. sorry but i was brought up when it wasnt done to back until 4 and it has stuck with me.

Malachy has had some ground work done with him because he was just dangerous to be around, he had to be safe.
    He is now turned out and being left alone until he turns three, september .
    I will not even attempt to back him until he is four , he is growing in huge spurts , is very bum high and I want to give him every chance to have sound healthy joints into old age

Sat on END of third summer left over winter then rebacked and ridden away over fourth summer having hacked, been out somewhere eve if just inhand, seen poles and rustic/HT/XC fences even if just lunged over them. Then lightly hacked/schooled over winter then real rising starts at 5

BUT it entirely depends on the horse IMO some are mentally and physically able to have the above done and some just cant deal with it so need a little longer.

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

I'd start when they are 3 but if they dont cope/ grow/ weathers crap I would just turn away again and try again at a later date
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Jumped on Mesmo for the first time this week, walked around the yard. Won't touch him now until autumn or spring - depending on how he grows. But the chance just arose, saddle was out, mounting block was out and mum was there.... first time saddle ever put on, girth done up, 10 mins later i was walking around the yard with mum leading you can quite easily judge how they are going to cope
    Native pony addict!

Really depends on the breed and whether the equine is ready (in his head as well as physically).

Shetlands start very light work when they have turned 3yo, then we turn them away for the winter and start again from scratch.

Icelandics are usually started around 4yo and again it is very light, just the basics and then you turn them away for the winter and start again. Any sooner and they just don't have the maturity for it and you can fry their brains and do a great deal of damage both mentally and physically.

So it depends really. I am not keen on doing lots when they are babies either. I would rather the herd taught them to be horses first and they mostly learn acceptable behaviour and manners from their peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post

So it depends really. I am not keen on doing lots when they are babies either. I would rather the herd taught them to be horses first and they mostly learn acceptable behaviour and manners from their peers.
    Crackerjack is an awesome 'nanny' to any baby i've had! he really puts them in their place
    Native pony addict!

Yup, Haakon takes no prisoners and some of the mares are truly wonderful nannies.

It is fascinating to watch too.

My old Dusty has taught Malachy ( just turning three ) better manners than I could manage !He is another take no prisoners , stand no nonsense.