Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trailer towing:- B and B+E licence rules explained

I have a diesel Land Rover discovery (P reg) what could I legally tow with this?

A few years ago I used to tow a single pony trailer with a 2.0L saloon..i'm roughly assuming I was legal? (naughty I know). This is very interesting for when I get round to getting a bigger car and trailer, thanks ROG!

Quote Originally Posted by greyarab View Post
    I haven't.got trailer yet, but it would be handy to know what weight I can tow legally.
    I have a .mk4 ford Mondeo estate.
    Max towing weight of 1800kg and a herb weight of 1600 unladen.
    Thanks ROG.
    If I am correct your GVW is 2210 kgs ????

If it is 2210 then you can legally tow a trailer with a max plated MAM of 1290 on a B licence (1290+2210=3500)

On a B+E licence you can have a trailer plated at 3500 kgs but when loaded the actual weight of the trailer and its load cannot be more than 1800 kgs

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    I have a diesel Land Rover discovery (P reg) what could I legally tow with this?
    According to my research the GVW is 2720 so on a B licence that would be a max trailer MAM of only 780 kgs

On a B+E licence it would be a max trailer MAM of 3500 and can actually be that weight because it has a 3500 towing capacity

Quote Originally Posted by ROG. View Post
    If I am correct your GVW is 2210 kgs ????

If it is 2210 then you can legally tow a trailer with a max plated MAM of 1290 on a B licence (1290+2210=3500)

On a B+E licence you can have a trailer plated at 3500 kgs but when loaded the actual weight of the trailer and its load lcannot be more than 1800 kgs
    Hi thanks for that ROG.
    After double checking the GVW it's actually 2275kg. I only have a B license, so I'm guessing buy as light a weight trailer as I can, and have the MAM plate lowered to 1200kg?
    The biggest horse I have is under 500kg, so as long ss the weight of the trailer is 700kg or less, and I only ever tow one at a time. I should be legal? Is that right? ?
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by greyarab View Post
    Hi thanks for that ROG.
    After double checking the GVW it's actually 2275kg. I only have a B license, so I'm guessing buy as light a weight trailer as I can, and have the MAM plate lowered to 1200kg?
    The biggest horse I have is under 500kg, so as long ss the weight of the trailer is 700kg or less, and I only ever tow one at a time. I should be legal? Is that right? ?
    Thanks again.
    1200 would be fine

The lightest two trailers I know of are these two -

BATESON LIGHT HORSE TRAILER 675kgs
    CHEVAL LIGHT HORSE TRAILER 655kgs

Simply call the manufacturer of a trailer who will then send you to their nearest dealer to have it downplated - cost very little or nowt !!

UPDATE

From 19/01/2013 there are some towing rule changes

For all those B licence towing of a trailer over 750 kgs MAM there is now one extra simple rule
    The vehicle GVW added to the trailer MAM must not toal more than 3500 kgs

The kerbweight rules has been revoked

For those that pass both B and B+E after 19/01/2013 the max trailer MAM is now 3500 kgs but that will affect virtually nobody