Thread: Need reassurance please

Default Need reassurance please

I've now had my 3.1yo for 3 weeks and for the past few days she's been FULL of energy so decided today was the day I'd take her in the school and start lunging her round the track and get her back working again.

Well she pulled every move in the book! Rearing, bucking, prancing around - expected a bit of naughtiness but nothing like this. I perservered and got her WALKING round fairly calmly but she was still teeming with energy, think she could've just kept on going.

She galloped out to her mates ike a complete nutter when I turned her back out.

I need you all to tell me to keep on at her and she'll chill out again and be back to nice pony soon

Also any suggestions to use up some of this energy would be good!

Aww. Sounds like shes just being a baby. You havent started feeding or changed diet or anything? Might explain why she has lots of energy but she is just a baby and they get lots of energy. Especially after not working for a while then they find it all so exciting.

If you have a secure area try loose schooling? Change of direction and stuff get her listening to you and let her just yahoo some of that energy off.
    Just stick to lunging though and they will calm down and get use to it again

TBH I'd let her use up her energy in the field and stick to groundwork in the school, I'm not a huge fan of lunging though especially youngsters so personally I tend to stick to in hand hacks. My youngsters are normally too busy being nosey on a walk to do anything bad and it gets them used to lots of different things at the same time as keeping their brains occupied.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by madlady View Post
    TBH I'd let her use up her energy in the field and stick to groundwork in the school, I'm not a huge fan of lunging though especially youngsters so personally I tend to stick to in hand hacks. My youngsters are normally too busy being nosey on a walk to do anything bad and it gets them used to lots of different things at the same time as keeping their brains occupied. Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
    I wish she did use up more energy in the field, but she's far too busy munching! Life's tough :P I'm also not a big fan of lunging youngsters, the plan was to get her moving round the outside track of the school rather than on a circle and listening to voice commands, sort of long reining with one rein, for now... Will have another go tomorrow and see how she goes. She was quiet as a mouse this afternoon and we had a play with a giant blue piece of pipe which she enjoyed I think! Just out of interest, do you hand hack in a bridle or just headcollar? She is into EVERYTHING at the moment, very funny to watch her investigating, definitely need to get her out and about more.

If shes safe in a headcollar than just a headcollar. I never in hand hack in a bridle unless i think the horses is a tad too excitable/unpredictable etc or needs the practise wearing a bridle.