Thread: following on from horse of a lifetime- making the right choices for poss.last horse

Default following on from horse of a lifetime- making the right choices for poss.last horse

I have had my much loved Brychen for 17 years now, he had a bad accident last year but thankfully has come sound. I now realise that he is getting on in years at 22 and so am I at 47! I am starting to research what I would like as my next horse. I always wanted an Arab, however I also love Natives esp Welshies like B. Also like Fells.

I had been planning to buy a youngster to bring on but moneys short and I would rather have the best for B rather than having to decide which horse has best , second best etc . Also time is so short as I work long hours, am the main wage earner and have a 7 year old so as well.

A very kind friend has arranged for me to ride another eqaully kind friends youngster, I have had a right shock as I am really nervy. I happily ride out my old boy alone in most weathers and upto his accident upto 5hours solo as well as showing etc. I now find to my astonishment that with another horse I am a bit of wimp. Im having another ride tonight so nerves may abate. This has got me wondering. I take so much about B for granted, for example I have problems mounting from the ground do to a dicky knee and hip , B happily sidles up to any higher object for me to get on him from out on hacks, I always know if hes about to throw a wobbly so hop of walk by him and then get back on.

I am saving for my new horse of a lifetime as B is and has been wonderful but I wanted either the Arab of my dreams or a reg Welsh D so I could do all the things B couldnt do as has no papers such as showing as well as pleasure and shorter endurance rides, dressage and le trek. I now am concerned that if I go down this route I will end up with something I am scared to ride ! Neither Arabs or Welsh D's being rounded for being sensible or quiet. I wonder if a Fell might be a better option? Any thoughts?

Also I always said I wanted to go back to endurance (stopped after an rta with B) and tried dressage unsuccessfully for want of something better to do. I now feel that I am happiest solo hacking and would like to do shorter endurance rides and le trek where you dont need a crew and dont have all the competative pressure (nearly ended my marraige last time) plus classic schooling and maybe some competative dressage for the sheer joy of schooling.

Is this all down to age and becoming more wimpy/resigned to not getting anywhere competitivly, or do you think being old makes you value what YOU enjoy more than what EVERYONE ELSE thinks you should do/judges you by?

I think you should probably put breeding aside and just look for a horse that suits you and your needs, a horse you can enjoy. Its fine to have a preference, that can help you be the deciding factor in which horse you choose, but the basic qualities in what you need are much more important. Start looking for horses that tick all those boxes first, and if there happens to be an arab or a welshy among them, so be it.

I'm not suggesting a traditional or a cob, but for instance, both of those types can be shown just as much as a horse with recorded breeding.

In a similar situation , I'm 46 and decided that I would like a haflinger as my next horse (childhood dream pony and closer to the ground to get on than my current tb). I went out and bought a foal (who is now 2) with the idea of bringing her on and knowing her almost all her life. As it happens I also bought her mother and so have more haflingers than I intended but I quite understand about planning for the future. Previously I have owned a TB for 20 years and an Arab for over 20 years so they were also lifetime horses, however I may end up selling the haflinger baby one day as there are only so many you can ride! Follow you dream and buy the breed you've always wanted, but do research that they are what you think they are
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

I would agree to throw the breeding aside and go and see / try horses / ponies with the temperament you are looking for, as im sure most people usually come back with something totally different to what they intended to get !

good luck and keep riding kind friends horses as it will take a while to get used to riding something different to your own.
    For sale - Endurance irons - 17.5 treeless saddle used once with pad and stirrups, and hunters martingale full / xfull pm for details