Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing Laws

Default Towing Laws

I have previously done a sticky on this... and due to popular request, its back.

All my information came from a lot of careful research, phoning the DVLA, VOSA and police.

Please remember; the DVLA are only experts when it comes to LICENSES. They do not know about the laws relating to weights. On that note, most traffic police are also mis-informed... it is VOSA who operate check points and who are the ones in the know about this.

My initial information came from a lovely chap called Ian Mackintosh from Duncan Mackintosh trailers, an Ifor Williams centre. Which is where I purchased my own HB505.

The easiest thing for me to do here is to directly quote what Ian has recently written in the free publication Equi-Ads. "Everything you wanted to know about trailers but were afraid to ask!" I read it, and thought - thank goodness, FINALLY someone who knows what they are talking about... then I noticed who had written it. I have recently read articles in popular magazines that are STILL misleading and fail to state the facts.

Here's what Ian wrote:
    Put simply, the towing capacity of a vehicle has to match (or exceed) the plated Maximum Gross Weight of the trailer. The plated weight can however be changed by the manufacturer to a lower limit as long as it is not below the working range of the coupling and not below the unladen weight of the trailer plus payload.

Any authorised dealer should be able to re plate your trailer.

All this information assumes that you have category B+E on your driving license.

example. HB511 plated MGW is 2700kg, ie trailer plus load cannot exceed 2700kg. Vehicle to tow this must have minimum towing capacity of 2700kg

if however your vehicle can only tow 2000kg you could have it replated to 2000kg. Based on the working coupling of the trailer being 1400kg-2000kg. Unladen weight is 1000kg and say payload for example is 500kg (this is your horse and hay etc) would keep you within 2000kg.
    Last edited by CharliesAngel; 25-09-2009 at 17:45.

Default The towing laws sticky.....

http://www.trotonline.co.uk/forum/sh...74-Towing-Laws

Have I read it incorrectly because what it seems to say to me is incorrect ?

From your previous posts and your posts on H&H forum I understand that you are very knowledgable in this field, I am happy to either correct the thread or replace with a new one if you wish to provide the correct info
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Clava View Post
    From your previous posts and your posts on H&H forum I understand that you are very knowledgable in this field, I am happy to either correct the thread or replace with a new one if you wish to provide the correct info
    This is what is written in the Towing Laws sticky thread -

Put simply, the towing capacity of a vehicle has to match (or exceed) the plated Maximum Gross Weight of the trailer

This is written in the Reply from VOSA sticky thread -

There is no technical problem with the gross vehicle weight of the trailer exceeding a car's towing capability providing its actual weight does not exceed the towing capability

The one from VOSA is the correct one because there is no law or official rule which states the MAM of a trailer cannot be more than the towing capacity of the vehicle
    This is correct for either B or B+E licence towing but usually occurs more often in B+E towing

Two examples which are both legal -

B licence towing
    Vehicle
    Unladen/kerb 1500
    GVW 2000
    Towing capacity 1400
    Trailer
    Unladen 700
    MAM 1500
    Max load for trailer would be 700 to keep within towing capacity

B+E licence towing
    Vehicle
    Unladen/kerb 1700
    GVW 2500
    Towing capacity 3000
    Trailer
    Unladen 1000
    MAM 3500
    Max load for trailer would be 2000 to keep within towing capacity

Ok, I'll merge these threads to provide this clarification.

Opened thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Clava View Post
    Ok, I'll merge these threads to provide this clarification.
    Therein lies a problem because laws are made in most cases to prevent something so there are no laws written that says the legal MAM plated weights can be greater than the manufacturers power to weight ratio towing capacities

If it was illegal then there would be a law stating it

A little extra info on manufacturers towing capacities....
    There is no law which states that exceed ing this is illegal however there are laws which cover doing this -
    According to a super-reliable source.
    Exceeding the towing capacity of a vehicle could leave the driver open to prosecution under the following:-
    Regulation 100 C&U regs 1986
    Road traffic act section 40, 41 or 42 with possible penalty points
    If overload more than 30% then may consider vehicle/combination being in dangerous conndition

Quote Originally Posted by CharliesAngel View Post
    All my information came from a lot of careful research, phoning the DVLA, VOSA and police.

Please remember; the DVLA are only experts when it comes to LICENSES. They do not know about the laws relating to weights. On that note, most traffic police are also mis-informed... it is VOSA who operate check points and who are the ones in the know about this.

My initial information came from a lovely chap called Ian Mackintosh from Duncan Mackintosh trailers, an Ifor Williams centre. Which is where I purchased my own HB505.

The easiest thing for me to do here is to directly quote what Ian has recently written in the free publication Equi-Ads. "Everything you wanted to know about trailers but were afraid to ask!" I read it, and thought - thank goodness, FINALLY someone who knows what they are talking about... then I noticed who had written it. I have recently read articles in popular magazines that are STILL misleading and fail to state the facts.

Here's what Ian wrote:
    Put simply, the towing capacity of a vehicle has to match (or exceed) the plated Maximum Gross Weight of the trailer. The plated weight can however be changed by the manufacturer to a lower limit as long as it is not below the working range of the coupling and not below the unladen weight of the trailer plus payload.

Any authorised dealer should be able to re plate your trailer.

All this information assumes that you have category B+E on your driving license.

example. HB511 plated MGW is 2700kg, ie trailer plus load cannot exceed 2700kg. Vehicle to tow this must have minimum towing capacity of 2700kg

if however your vehicle can only tow 2000kg you could have it replated to 2000kg. Based on the working coupling of the trailer being 1400kg-2000kg. Unladen weight is 1000kg and say payload for example is 500kg (this is your horse and hay etc) would keep you within 2000kg.
    I emailed Ian about this and he replied today
    Ian McIntosh ian@duncanmcintosh.co.uk

16:42 (20 minutes ago)

to me

Hello Roger,
    If I did write this, I’ll have to amend.

VOSA have recently (2011) clarified this situation. People WERE getting pulled over for exceeding the vehicle’s Maximum Gross Train Weight based on the plated gross weight of the trailer, i.e. the potential gross weight.

It has now been clarified by VOSA that it is the actual gross weights that enforcement officers are to go by. For more info see the sheet attached (issued by Ifor Williams to all Distributors).
    The problem is that it has been very hard in the past to get VOSA to give guidance on certain previously “grey” areas of the law, therefore advice was based on what people were getting stopped and charged for.

The part that called me a lovely chap is obviously untrue also!

I hope this clears up this situation, I will have to register on this website forum and post an amendment.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, if you have any further queries do not hesitate to contact me.
    Regards,
    Ian.

West Road
    Brechin
    DD9 6RJ
    (01356) 624600
    www.duncanmcintosh.co.uk
    As Ian has now ammended/corrected the original statement then perhaps this also clarifies things?

Hi, Ian McIntosh (Duncan McIntosh Trailers) here,

It is true that I did write the original statement (in 2009)- the advice was based on what people WERE getting stopped and charged for.

As above, VOSA have now clarified this situation (in 2011) and I haven't heard of a single issue since.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm just glad things are clearer now.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mc View Post
    Hi, Ian McIntosh (Duncan McIntosh Trailers) here,

It is true that I did write the original statement (in 2009)- the advice was based on what people WERE getting stopped and charged for.

As above, VOSA have now clarified this situation (in 2011) and I haven't heard of a single issue since.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm just glad things are clearer now.

Ian.
    me too ( i was previously charliesangel) thanks to ROG & Ian for clarifying this

this has come out recently too
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...0low%20res.pdf
    Last edited by four socks; 25-04-2012 at 08:08.