Thread: Starting carriage driving...??

Default Starting carriage driving...??

This week - in France - I was introduced properly to carriage driving with Pif and Paf the shetlands.
    A lot of people have told me to drive Berry but I've always shrugged it off because I've never done it and thought I'd be better sticking to what I know.
    We have a shetland at work that we have been breaking to harness. Basically teaching him to long rein and just starting to add a tyre. He's going off to shetland borstal to learn to drive (someone has offered to have him for free and raise money for his harness and carriage) so I thought I better learn whilst in France the basics so I knew what to do when George returns.

For some reason though I have thoroughly fallen in love with Carriage driving whilst we are there and I really really want to do it and compete in it with Berry - however I want to try and do it alone (well with help obviously but I don't want to send her off at all. Can't afford to send her off for a start.) I'm going to talk to the lady whos going to be breaking George to carriage and hoping she'll be able to help me.

So I need lots of advice from everyone on here who drives.
    Berry can long rein and I plan on starting her long reining again tomorrow but whats next, pulling a tyre?

I learnt in France the basics of putting on a harness and attaching them to a carriage etc - although I know Berry is a long way off being attached to a carriage (for a start I need a carriage )

Every single Newbie question you can possibly think of, answer it. I honestly know nothing so won't be offended.
    Recommend me good books, DVDs, sites... etc.

I'm really really keen and hope she takes to it. I think she will love it, she just seems made for driving. (sounds odd but I just think she'll take to it like a duck to water)
    I still plan on competing her ridden in Dressage and hacking her etc but doing driving too

Sallie Walrond's Breaking a Horse to Harness is a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Jobi-Wan Kenobi View Post
    Thank you. I shall go search amazon now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jobi-Wan Kenobi View Post
    Agree with this
    If you are serious it can be done, i did it with harry and won our first show last month. But be prepared to spend hours online, reading books, watching videos etc and take your time, going back a step if need be. Also commom sense is a must ! If you wouldnt attempt to break in a pony to ride i wouldnt even consider breaking to drive

Good luck

Thank you. Ive already done a bit of research. Have got a couple of books and a DVD on my amazon wishlist that have good reviews (including the one recommended) cant buy any till i get paid on Tues though!

I rebacked her myself (which took quite a while) so am pretty sure we can manage to get her driving im a patient person when it comes to stuff like this so hopefully that'll help. Im a perfectionist too so no worries on the not researching enough
    My best friend use to drive and was breaking her pony to drive so shes offered a hand in helping me till she leaves for uni.