Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting back after a confidence knock

Default Getting back after a confidence knock

Some of you might have read my post about my last lesson - if not, it was basically me being put on a horse I couldn't handle, riding like a complete twonk and spending 30 minutes crying/being scared. I've never felt that crap before, I think I rode one canter transition where I didn't cry and that was onlybecause it was the first one and I didn't expect it! To explain a little further, the horse was part trotter and the only way he would canter is to rush, fall into canter, do a mad few strides of plunging, throwing his head about gallop, then settle into a fast but controllable canter - so I'm told, I never got to the controllable part, I just got head between the legs bombing off every time I asked

That was about 4 weeks ago I think, I still havent been back. I've thought about it but the through of being on a horse makes me feel really nervous, which is ridiculous Is it just a case of forcing myself? I was thinking of trying a new riding school where they don't know me but I'm not sure if being on a horse I don't know would completely frazzle the nerves!

Thats horrid that you dont feel good about getting back on. Speak to your Ri about this and see what she/he can do to help.

I tend to just get back on but then my tenacity is what makes me forget fear and go straigt to determination Maybe the RI thought that your capabilities meant youd be able to handle this horse

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

Could you go play with one of your friends horses? that might be more relaxing than trying to combat your nerves in a lesson situation... xx

Don't worry your not on your own with this problem. I got back on the 17.2hh nutter one more time and got off after 30mins, i tried but he was finding any excuse to play up and have said I'm not getting back on it to my RS. He is an exception, they have put me on more challenging occasionally in the past (for my ability) and although i never liked to ride them i would, but if you feel unsafe on a horse speak to someone, after all your the one paying to ride

That's ridiculous, they shouldn't have put you on a horse like this if you're nervous and seeing you were struggling should have changed you onto something else. I would either phone and explain you're to nervous for a horse like that or find another school or as someone else said have you got a friend who has a horse you can ride?

Can't you ask for your fave horse, Connor isn't it?

Completely agree with the above. They should never have put you on that horse

You should have never been on that horse in the first place! As someone who suffers from confidence problems, and has come back from a huge knock after Cloud bolted with me, I would suggest going for a lesson with a RI you like and trust, and specially request a horse you know and trust. Just spend the lesson in walk and trot if you feel happier that way. There is no pressure for you to do anything you don't want to, just do what you feel comfortable doing.
    http://i55.tinypic.com/10dsdhd.jpg
    2001-2011
    Sleep tight Cloud, I miss you more than words can say

I would speak to your RI and explain you are a bit shaken up by the whole crazy horse and would like to ride something calm and sensible to get your confidence back. I think I remember you saying she wasn't your regular RI who taught you in your last lesson.
    Or if you are in Swindon soon come and have a play on Leo, he is lovely

Connor has been sold/is being sold so is out of the RS at the moment. The only other horse I fully know is Elise and she is off work with tendon damage I think I just need to book a lesson for a few days time (then I can't cancel cause I can't afford to lose the money! ) and force myself.

Trouble is I really thought I was getting better with my riding, a lot more secure and effective but I've just set myself back about 2 years which is so frustrating!

Aww sorry to hear about Connor

I think you'll be fine once you on back on board. The wait in between is probably worse as your fear levels are rising but once you've done it you'll feel a lot better. Good luck!