Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting back after a confidence knock

Come and have a go on mine if you want a confidence boost! They're both very well behaved. I promise. I remember what this felt like. Tbh in the end I gave up with riding schools and got myself a share horse. He did wonders for my confidence!

Aw hun How about that horse I rode? Not exactly the most spritely animal in the world but even I, nervous nellie, didn't feel nervous I think you should definately go back though, and ask for something more suitable.

I had posted but realised I got the wrong gist of the conversation so deleted my waffle. I need to do my homework and read the full story first! sorry
    Last edited by theebeegeebee; 17-07-2012 at 22:52.

I've not read the other replies so sorry if this is repeating:

go for just a walk and trot lesson
    try a couple of private lessons
    try a horse you know is more sedate
    go for a trek with a beginner friend
    change RI's
    change RS's
    have one more lesson and then have a break for a while until you want to get back into it

It's not fun having your confidence knocked. It's taken me years to want to get back in the saddle properly, and I've had to start from scratch with a young green horse. Not the best combination, I know! I've also had a painful spill from him which immediately knocked my confidence again but we're better for it now after taking a step back for a short while. I've found that having a few mini rides on friends horses has helped me loads, just a couple of minutes in walk and trot and that was all that was needed. Just a few months later and I'm now jumping at a local RS where I'm having additional lessons in preparation for taking stage 1 & 2. Stage 2 includes cantering without stirrups, something I'm looking forward to trying but can't ever remember having done before in all my 30 years of riding!

I would have a chat with you RI and tell them how you are feeling.

You are paying for a service and they should have noticed how nervous that horse was making you and should not have let you carry on like that.

Have a word see if they can help you. If you don't get anywhere with them then I would look for somewhere new.

i remember the original post & TBH the horse didnt sound like anything that should be in a riding school - you could try a sort of NLP approach - dig out all the pics and vids of you riding happily, look at them carefully and then try and re-create the feelings you had at that time rather than focusing on one horrible incident AND then get tough with the RS [ in a time of recession & belt tightening - they need to be client focused] and book a lesson on a good school master - if they cant provide that - take your hard earned money elsewhere
    hugs xxxx
    my new fiction blog -feel free to share/critique/laugh like a drain at

http://rubiesandduels.wordpress.com/

Oof, this is old! Thanks for the replies - I am on a money enforced break, fingers crossed in the next few months I will be moving into my very own house (complicated chain allowing!) so very hard saving going on! I doubt I will ride now for a good few years, unless someone wants to offer me a very well paid job with minimal hours (prosititution maybe?)

I'll be coming back to it though, I think it's in my bones. I think about having a good gallop at least 4 times a day, is that weird?

Quote Originally Posted by palmerlover52 View Post
    Oof, this is old! Thanks for the replies - I am on a money enforced break, fingers crossed in the next few months I will be moving into my very own house (complicated chain allowing!) so very hard saving going on! I doubt I will ride now for a good few years, unless someone wants to offer me a very well paid job with minimal hours (prosititution maybe?)

I'll be coming back to it though, I think it's in my bones. I think about having a good gallop at least 4 times a day, is that weird?
    House sounds scary/exciting!
    If you're ever down my way I have a little welsh you can have a ride on Maybe not a gallop though, he breaks into a sweat after 10mins of walking at the moment!